Laptop: P4 or PM or wat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfman44

Solid State Member
Hey, So I've had a while to search for a laptop all night and I think I have found what I'm looking for: Asus Z81-SP with the 3.2ghz cpu, 1gb ram, 60gb 5400rpm hd, and 256MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce GO 6800 w/GDDR3.

Anyways after reading reviews people say this is an awesome machine but people are reluctant to buy it because of the Pentium 4 chip -- Should i be turned away also? The speed tests show it outperformed other laptops by a lot that were using the Pentium M 1.733ghz chip and what not - but should i still avoid this one? The P4 is a 64bit chip and so it will be nice for later when 64 bit programs start being the norm, or so I think.

Any help is appreciated, thanks again.

It depends if you're looking for speed or mobility, since it's a laptop, most look for mobility instead of speed since basic laptops usually cannot outperform desktops.

I HIGHLY recommend the P-M over the P4. The P-M has a misleadingly slow clock speed, which may sometimes be interpreted as low performance.

In reality, those P-Ms perform very well, and at a tiny fraction of power that P4s do. This translates into longer battery life, and less heat.

Yeah, I have 2 friends. The specs on the computer are very comparable, except the processor. One has a 3.0ghz P4 w/ HT, and the other has a Pentium M 1.7ghz. The friend with the P4 sees about 2 hours, maybe 2 and a half if he's taking it easy. The friend with the Pentium M sees almost 5 every time.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom