frequent hangs with mouse and applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukenukem75

Solid State Member
Since installing my pentium4 3.0E, I've been getting frequent hangs with my mouse and applications. They will freeze and go back to normal a few seconds later. I did install service pack 2 around the same time I got the processor so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyone know how I can fix this?

I have seen SP2 do mysterious things to PCs although I never had a problem or at least I don't think I ever had one related to SP2. For example, I have seen other peoples' PC's USB ports stop working when SP2 is installed.

Anyways you can always uninstall SP2. Just go to Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs and see if SP2 is really the culprit causing all your problems.

Well, it didn't work. The only idea I have is that the cpu is overheating and it's becoming unstable. It's running around 60degrees idle.

dukenukem75 said:
Well, it didn't work. The only idea I have is that the cpu is overheating and it's becoming unstable. It's running around 60degrees idle.

60 celcius?

That's really hot for an idle temp. But you probably have a Prescott. I have seen those run in the high 80s at full load.

Try artic cooling. You can also buy cases with side vent specifically designed for Prescotts and just blow cool air through that vent to aid the CPU fan.

I have a Prescott P4 3.0 and just by doing that and having proper air inflow and outflow I'm at 38C idle...60C load. Room temp round 20-22C. Basically I just put a small sitting fan beside the vent whenever I'm gaming. If I really turn the fan on I can get it as low as 34C idle with the stock CPU fan. No other third party cooling solutions.

EDIT: Sorry I meant Artic Silver not Artic Cooling.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom