Need Help - microATX mobo.... what video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenfoot

In Runtime
Hi, I've been helping my friend out to choose a video card for his computer. His mobo only has PCI slots, and I chose this video card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143032

When we tried to put this video card into his computer, it was too big that we weren't able to pop the lid back on. We still plugged in the power, monitor onto the video card and turned on the computer. The monitor wouldn't show anything.

I think the reason why was because his mobo's form factor was microATX, and this card is designed for ATX mobos.

What video card would you recommend for my friend? I've seen some "low-profile" cards, what does that mean, and are they designed for microATXes? Thanks.

Oh yes, his computer case is extremely slim, so that's why we weren't able to pop the lid back on.

Also, I'm not sure about this, but from what I've been able to see on Newegg.com, "low-profile" cards means that the card is smaller and suitable for small computers, right?

I think the reason why was because his mobo's form factor was microATX, and this card is designed for ATX mobos.

Doesn't make a difference. My mobo is a micro and my video card ain't a low-profile. But, then, my computer has a mini-tower, not a desktop case.

He'll need a low-profile card.

Oh, and be sure to check the wattage of his PSU before you decide on a card. That card you have requires a minimum of a 250W PSU. You can find out what a card requires by checking the manufacturer's web site (NewEgg gives you a link to each one... they are located just above the customer reviews).

Ok thanks for the reply. Just to make sure even more, I'll get my friend to take a picture of his inside of the computer with the video card projecting out of the case.

Oh, I believe you.

A small case can be a major pain, to say the least.

Yes, a low-profile card finally did the job. He's happy with a GeForce 5200, as he can play Guild Wars with no lag now.

okay, I was going to recommend the FX5500... but looks like you got hooked up with the goods already... :) Happy gaming.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom