Gaming Laptop - ~1500 budget (USD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfman44

Solid State Member
To start this off, I'd like to say PLEASE CORRECT ME if I'm wrong with whatever i say since I am brand new to laptops.

Hey guys, I'm brand new to these forums so I'm giving this a shot. Anyways, my PC broke down the other day (AMD 64 3200+, 1gig corsair xms ram, GeForce 6800 256mb pci-express vid card) and I'm in dire need of a new system. I'm a senior in high school and going to go to college next year so I do not want to drop a hefty bill on a PC when i would much prefer to have a laptop while at college. I do a lot of gaming (mainly World of Warcraft and Half-Life, but I will be playing new games as they are released) and want a laptop that can keep up with my gaming.

I have about a $1400-1500 budget, but I can push that a LITTLE if the performance gain is significant. I have been doing a little research and what i assume (PLEASE correct me if wrong) is that I should shoot for a P4 3.2 or better or a Pentium M 1.73 or better. As far as ram goes, 1gig is a must. Within my budget the laptops usually feature a Geforce 6600 GO 128mb graphics card or an ATI x700 128mb graphics card (either AGP or PCI-express). I was looking at xoticpc.com and within my budget i could bump the card up to 256mb of ram on it but sacrifice either cpu speed or ram.

Basically what I'm here for is to know what is most important when it comes to gaming on a laptop and what I should aim for. I woudl prefer to buy it through a website (not ebay, etc) so that I could have a warranty (**** happens in college). Also, if you could point me at a specific model, make, or even parts that I should go for please let me know. Or, if i am underrating or overrating any aspect of a laptop let me know as well

Thanks guys, would be great to hear back from you

Alienare is definately not within your price range, though.

I can't help you with a gaming lappy, though. I know basic lappys and desktops.

Well one doesn't build a laptop, so you've gotta get it pre-built. I'll go looking for one, but don't get your hopes up, $1500 is more than enough for a gaming desktop, but hardly enough for a gaming laptop.

Ugh, looked and didn't find anything worthwhile.

You're better off getting a gaming desktop when you get there man.

after looking at the XPS's, they are really sick, but there is a huge gap in them. They have a $950 or so model that is just an all around laptop, and not for gaming. The gaming version is about $2200 base, which is way above my price range. They dont offer any XPS system between the $950 model and the $2200 one, which is very disapointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom