pentium M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely...especially considering how terrible the AMD roadmap is looking for the next year the Cedar Mill and in particular the Yonah looks to be promising...the only thing they need to correct with the Yonah is the limited support issue with the Dothan

I also remember hearing plans back almost a year ago of Intel joining the Hypertransport family and implementing it into their cores...I haven't really heard much about this but once they get that going for them they'll be right back up there

the only thing they need to correct with the Yonah is the limited support issue with the Dothan
Huh? Please explain. Are you talking about the different socket chipset requirements of Yohan? If, so, I don't see that as something that will change.

I also remember hearing plans back almost a year ago of Intel joining the Hypertransport family and implementing it into their cores...I haven't really heard much about this but once they get that going for them they'll be right back up there
The last I read, that is planned for 2007.

Just to clarify the new chips:

Yohan just came out and is a dual core mobile CPU clocked at the top end of just over 2Ghz. Clock for clock, these chips have benched just about on par with the AMD X2 chips, even with the crippled FSB on the mobile platform.

Second half of 2006 will bring Memron, which I believe just adds 64-bit support to Yohan and will be available at higher freq., and Conroe, the new Desktop chip.

Conroe will clock at the high end around 3Ghz, which just as an idea, should probably have clock cycles similar to AMD, although Conroe will have slightly longer pipes than Yohan, its still a fraction of current P4's.

Then, hopefully, sometime in 2007, we will see on-die memory controllers added to this line of chips.

Overall, this new line is looking really good for Intel and it should definitely add some competition to the gaming CPU market.

Huh? Please explain. Are you talking about the different socket chipset requirements of Yohan? If, so, I don't see that as something that will change.
I'm talking about what Elbatrop made reference too earlier...the fact that the P-Ms need that Asus adapter socket thing to work in any existing desktop motherboard

gaara said:
I'm talking about what Elbatrop made reference too earlier...the fact that the P-Ms need that Asus adapter socket thing to work in any existing desktop motherboard
Ah, I got you. I think we will see some more desktop mobo's for Yohan, however, I don't see it quite as important since Conroe should be a very capable desktop version.

locki433 said:
actually you don't need the asus adapter. Aopen has two motherboard that are 479 socket.
Yeah, and DFI actually has one too. The thing is though, none of them did a very good job with the boards. The DFI one and one of the AOpen boards are micro ATX, and then the full ATX that AOpen put out was just a huge disappointment. They completely missed the boat by offering very limited overclocking features on that board.

Hopefully mobo manufactures finally get it with this new round of mobile processors and make some good full ATX mobos for them :mad:

Hopefully mobo manufactures finally get it with this new round of mobile processors and make some good full ATX mobos for them

As long as Intel releases a desktop CPU with a Dothan-like core, then there shouldnt be a need for better mobos that support skt478 to skt479 conversions. But until then....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom