WEB hosting servers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
dawizhacker said:
I really want to learn how to do it my self, but thx anyways for the offer.

Can you tell me some decent parts? 5000$ budget.

Also what is raid-1?

Raid-1 is data mirroring. Basicly, you have two harddrives where data is identicle on each. If one goes bad, you replaced it (with one called a hot spare). Your data is safe because you have two copies. It is also a little faster than one harddrive.

Setting it up is not always easy and requires some knowledge.

Building a server is just way too much effort for what he wants. Your standard home broadband connection isnt going to cut it. You will have to pay a good deal of cash per month for an internet connection capable of handling a good amount of traffic on a website.

Just go through a web hosting service. You can buy a domain cheap, even in some cases get it for free with a package deal, and pay like $10 a month for hosting.

For instance, I have a website hosted through 1&1, and my domain name is registered with them as well. I pay $10 a month for their business package. The package includes 20 GB or storage space and 1,000 GB of monthly transfer/bandwidth capacity. What that means is I can store up to 20 GB of information on the server to be available on my website, and I'm allowed 1,000 GB of downloads per month for people who visit the website. So you should check to see what hosting companies are available to you.

1&1 is not known to be very good...

He also wanted to host other people too.

Dawiz, if you have aim, please contact me. My handle is Sevoma973

I wasn't advertising like you, just trying to explain to him. I just fail to see how pushing someone who knows nothing about hosting a website into creating his own server and hosting other people's websites is a good thing. You have to walk before you can run...

me and my budy are running a webserver behind Charter Cable, on a dual PII 400 with windows server 2003 running IIS, and i have to say its very easy, and we're doing it all for free, the only thing you'll have to pay for is the domain if you want a real domain, we're doing it with dynamic addresses, and we only reset the router when we need to, otherwise our address has stayed the same since he got it.

ps...does anyone know if it usually costs any more to have a static IP from the ISP rather than a dynamic?

Thats why I told him both. I am just trying to help him, I was in his position at one time.

Anyway, more about 1&1:
http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=475257&highlight=1and1
http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=472341&highlight=1and1
http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=473435&highlight=1and1
http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=471975&highlight=1and1

You can find more with a search there...

I do agree with Cedjunior on the server thing though. You are problably not ready. Your best bet right now would be to go with shared hosting and mabey try having your own server later. You won't have to worry about hackers, patches, updates and all of that stuff if you go shared.

IBMan said:
me and my budy are running a webserver behind Charter Cable, on a dual PII 400 with windows server 2003 running IIS, and i have to say its very easy, and we're doing it all for free, the only thing you'll have to pay for is the domain if you want a real domain, we're doing it with dynamic addresses, and we only reset the router when we need to, otherwise our address has stayed the same since he got it.

ps...does anyone know if it usually costs any more to have a static IP from the ISP rather than a dynamic?

Yes, it most definitely costs more to have a static ip. You should problably check if it is against your isp's tos to have a server.

A problem with hosting a server on your cable line is
1. the dynamic ip address, and 2, the slow upload. They are not meant to have servers. They cap your upload speed.

As for a server OS, I recommend Linux or BSD. I use linux, thats what I am most comfterbal (sp?) with. For a business server, I would not use Windows as it is prone to hackers.

kk, thx for explaining raid Sevoma.

So would it be cheeper in a 5 year run to buy a server? or pay the 10$ a month... 10$*12$=120$+20=140$*5=700$ I cans save MYSELF 700 bucks if i buy it...plus i will ba able to host other people.

How do i get a fatester connection? does shaw offer that? or should i go with a 3rd party internet connection? like t1 or something?

Alright. Well, can you recomend a good server provider around Victoria British Columbia Canada?

My PM box is empty now...i saw you tryed to pm me...

Well, for now I recommend shared hosting. It will be cheaper imo.

If you run a server on a cable line, it will be slow. You also have to pay for electricity.

Getting T1 is waaay to expensive. It will cost you problably ~1k monthly. That is most likley not an option.

If you go shared, you do not have to worry about security threats and other things. Just go with a good web hoster and you should be fine.

If you do practice administering linux and ar confterbal (sp?) with it, mabey you could try a test server before buying one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom