jobs out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To get an IT job it is difficult, but there are many computer related fields that they desperately need people. One is engineering, especially in the United States. Another is bioinformatics which is rapidly growing. There are many computer related jobs that are needed, you just need a higher education and you should have no problem finding a job. Get a degree in something that is new and hardly anyone has, or something that is difficult.

I see you live in missouri. What part of missouri are you located at? I live in south st. louis. Anyways, there aren't many great computer jobs here, unless you mean pc repairing or crap like that, but jobs like graphic designers, game devs, etc. are basically impossible to find. I'm hoping I'll be able to get an entry level graphic designer job here when I'm done with ITT tech, and then go 2 more years to some school with better programs. There are some larger companies that look for web designers, or database technicians, but most of those jobs are contract jobs. So yea... lol

Too bad cali has like all game dev companies, I would love to try to start as a game beta tester, while going to school. :(

yea if you are going to be going into the computer field, definitly plan on hopping from one job to the other on contract jobs. Full time computer jobs are hard to come by.

You are basically going to be selling your skills, and if those skills get outdated by some better faster technology (which is common in technology, obviously) then your outta luck. So you really gotta watch what the new technologies might be and learn them, or you will certantly be seeing you out of a job and replaced by some cs grad trained in all the new technology.

Also it isn't really common just to the computer industry, it happens to all the feilds. Doctors have to learn the new practices, nurses have to learn the new drugs and what they do. Lawyers need to learn the new laws so on and so forth.

But hey, if you enjoy working on computers then go for it.

Hello Blitze,

It's great to see your enthusiasm and i applaud you for it. Some advice (and i hope you accept it in good faith) is to watch how you post on forums (re: spelling).

Employers and HR personnel are conscious of how their employees represent their company, and good use of grammar is all part of the overall presentation. You could run into a situation where (later) you apply for a job, someone picks up on your old posts, and they decide to bypass you because 'b'kus' etc just does'nt do it for them.

It might sound trivial when you're youngish and influenced by a peer culture (and you'd probably take a different approach for career moves), but for all we know possible employers might already be using these forums and keeping an eye out for potential future talent. If you have something to offer make sure you're not overlooked - 1st impressions do (maybe unfortunately) count!

Having said that, you're right to focus on an area you are good at or have a passion for so don't be put off. The industry seems to be picking up over the last 12 months or so and there is a growing general sense of optimism.

Stay focussed, plan an education/training strategy, keep an eye on industry developments, and go for it!

When I was young, I was also interested in computers (building them, tweaking them, what have you). I knew I wanted to be a computer engineer just from those experiences I had while I was a kid. But it's a lot different when you're actually studying to be a computer engineer in a university. I mean, as a kid, I never knew I had to take all types of courses ranging from math, to physics, to chemistry, to electrical theory.

If I were you, I'd first check out all your options, find out your strengths before you hit college. If you still decide to major in computer or electrical engineering, then go for it!

Good luck.

The entry level computer market is flooded, but once you get up to more specialized careers. You get ALOT more options.

Yes i'm thinking that i'll go more into programming and design... be lead programmer for a business... or something... but i doubt it
-blitze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom