pagefile overload!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryColeman

Solid State Member
I have 2 X 512 OCZ EL for my ram so there should be very little need for windows to be using virtual memory. But when I boot up, as soon as windows is loaded there is already about 350mb used! I can watch it climb steadily and seemingly without bound. Not only that but while it is increasing it will always still display that I have free physical memory available. This problem occurs even when no programs are being run.

As I type this post it is at 2.23 GB of PF used! I have run spybot, ad-aware, and norton and only a usual amount of spyware was found and I had no virii.

I don't know what is happening!

Help please!

right now mines is at 392mb. you seem to have a lot of programs running. go to start, run, type msconfig, go to startup, click disable all, then recheck your antivirus and reboot and see what happens

I'd look under task manager and see which processes are using the resources. You should see if any of the processes using high resources are in your startup items (to find it, as Warez Monster describes). That could suggest a virus or spyware, if so post a Hijack This log.

I have a gig. I have about 375 - 400 mb being used doing nothing. that a fact of life with xp sp2

I keep my computer clean as far as startup items go so it isn't that. I can accept the 400mb range but what was bothering me is that it goes up so fast(up to over 2 gigs) when it isn't running anything special. It does the same thing with only my firewall and antivirus running.

If I just wanted to not be bothered by the auto increase I would set the limit high and leave it alone, but I know that it shouldn't be that high in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom