Built new pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

beluga

In Runtime
ok so i just built this AMD system, and i am anoyed cause i put my old hard drive from a intel mobo with all my files and xp, and now i put it onto this new one and it starts, but then comes a blue screen error message about new hardware being connected etc... does it require a completely new hd then and start alll over???? thank you for advice

if you have another hard drive, boot from it, and transfer your old files from the other hard drive to a folder on the temp hard drive or a cd/dvd.

You probably just hooked the hard drive up and expected XP to boot up. That's not the case. XP has a lot of security features and gets picky when you switch components out. You're going to need to reinstall Windows XP.

Ryan

You don't even need to format, just like Ryan said you can re-install. What I would do is re-install windows, back up all the files on another hard drive or burn them to a cd, then start fresh and format the hard drive and install a clean version of xp.

just do a repair and u wont have to copy anything coz it just repairs the system 32 and other xp system files

boot from the xp disc and hit enter.. then it should ask you to either press enter again to fresh install or give you an option to press 'r' to repair windows install

ahh yes but u see well... out of my 27gis already 15 gigs is used of windows programs and games... and well.. it cant boot windows from it. Anyway the point is can i format hDD in bios??? its the only way... but anyway im getting a new hdd so that might solve all problems:D?

oh other question.. how do i put a pc on my name and a pic for my avatar like u guys have?
thanks alot tho guys

Do you have the Windows XP install CD? Do what the others have told you. Do a repair install on that hard drive, then XP will recognize the new hardware and boot right up.

Your other option is to buy a brand new hard drive, install windows on it, and hook up your old hard drive as a slave drive and get the programs off of it that way.

ok... well umm how do i reinstall and stuff on the bios menu???? is that possible?? cause well lets say the other comps in the house are macs so thats helpful... and well the mobo i took is from the pentium 3 comp.. and yea im confused myself? im trying to make it read the cd-rom as primary thing to read first while booting, but this doesnt help me get to the windows menu...

One more time, do you have the windows xp install cd??? If so you you put it in the cd rom drive, you set that cd room drive as the bood drive in the bios and save those settings, after that it will automatically restart and ask you to press any key to start the install...

no, you can't reformat the hard drive with the bios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom