WEB hosting servers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawizhacker

Daemon Poster
My dad asked for me to build him a website, I know how to make the actual webpages (dreemweaver) and (flash), but i don't know how to host it and all... what do i need?

It basically a website that talks about his new compony. Nothing to extravagant, just a basic 5-8 page website with a lot of info.

He is paying me 300$CAN for the job, and i wouldn't mind it...

He's willing to pay about 100$ for the domain name and about 20$ a month for the hosting.

Or he's willing to buy me the server to host it on...

The server will have one purpose only, to host site's, his and possiable other people's, server cost ust be about 5000$.

I need a server build for 5000$, but first i want to know, if i buy a server comp, how do i make it a server... like do i have to have some special OS on it or something? caz i don't know the first thing about hosting...

1)explain the hosting thing
2)Make a server build (5000$) or cheaper :)

first you need the actual server, then you need a fast internet connection (at least cable) with a static IP address, and some web hosting software such as Apache
after you set it up, you need to register a domain name to the IP of your server

Can you make a good server for me?
I have shaw high speed...
I have no Apache, but i can download it...
I can buy a domain...it's like 20$ right? or more if it's taken...

Also, can i host other people on my server for money?

Can you make a good server for me?
I can recommend parts, but I may not be able to actually build it for you unless you live somewhat close to where I live

I have no Apache, but i can download it...
http://httpd.apache.org/

I can buy a domain...it's like 20$ right? or more if it's taken...
I'm not actually sure how much it costs to be honest. but here's a site you can do it from:
http://www.register.com/retail/index.rcmx

Also, can i host other people on my server for money?
yes, you can do that. but the system needs to be fast enough for however many websites it has

Alright, after a good seven hours a sleep im back on again...

I can recommend parts, but I may not be able to actually build it for you unless you live somewhat close to where I live
Yes, please do recomend parts. I live in Victoria British Columbia, but i'm quite able to build it my self, it like a biasic computer but bigger right?

I went to apache.org and i still can't figure out how to download it...

I know this site, my dad will buy the appropriate domin...

yes, you can do that. but the system needs to be fast enough for however many websites it has
sweet

yea, but what if i want to host other people's for money?

Don'y i need a good one, plus my dad's "compony" is paying for it...
Im not going to waste my comp...

You can get a domain for less than 10 dollars a year, and I can host the web site for $4.95 a month. Check my sig.

If you do host it, make sure you have a fast upload or your website will be slow. Our servers are on a dedicated tier-1 connection with raid 1 and data backups for data integrity.

If you want, I can build you a nice server with raid 1 and other features with linux preinstalled for a good price shipped. Just contact me if your interested.

I really want to learn how to do it my self, but thx anyways for the offer.

Can you tell me some decent parts? 5000$ budget.

Also what is raid-1?

SpoiledBoar said:
If your hosting web sites you dont need a fast computer
you can run it on a P3.

If you are hosting other websites, or have busy websites, you may need a fast server. Mysql databases use a bit of cpu and so do server side scripts.

As for hosting other people's websites.. You can get a free control panel such as webmin/usermin or vhcs. For paid, (i recommend this) get something like Cpanel, or directadmin.

I can't stress enough that you need a fast upload and data protection. There is always a chance that your harddrive can die anytime; new or old. Get raid 1 and possible offsite backups. You will need some way to manage power such as a huge ups for power outages and surge protection. You need to have a good uptime if you want to keep clients and have your dad's business look good.

Any questions? Feel free to ask them.

PS- You won't need to spend nearly 5000 dollars for a server. I would be glad to build you one cheaply. I have experience in this field as it is what I do sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom