pentium M

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroordie

In Runtime
Sorry if this is not directly relevant to overclocing, but my friend just told me that a Pentium M 1.73ghz is as powerfull as a P4 2.8ghz. I'm thinking this is total bs, but i'm not sure.
can u plz help me out on this?

Your friend is right...Pentium M goes way back and revives the Pentium 3 architecture whereas the Pentium 4 still uses the Netburst...Pentium 3 has about 10 pipeline stages whereas the newer Netburst cores have about 30, which basically means that a P3 clock is more efficent than a Netburst clock cycle...I have no idea how many stages the Dothan has but it's very similar to the P3 meaning it operates much slower frequency wise but each clock cycle has a higher IPC rate

Many people here seem to believe that Intel just plain sucks now without realizing that the Dothan is probably the absolute best overclocker out there and cheap cheap cheap...next generation Intel cores will all be based on the Pentium M/3 and should prove to be really really really good cores

I don't know anything about this, but what about the Dothan's low FSB? The fastest ones are 533MHz, and most are 400. My understanding is that, with Intels, FSB is everything.

Also, the Dothans on Newegg don't look very cheap - all are over $200, except for the Celeron Dothan, which is out of stock. My 800MHz-FSB Prescott was only $170 ..

The Pentium M (1.73 GHz) in my laptop is definitely faster than the P4 (2.4 GHz) in my old PC.

I believe that gaara is correct with his explanation.

Since the Dothans do a lot at a lower frequency, the FSB doesnt have to be as high to supply more memory bandwidth.

The P-Ms are powerhouses. I've seen overclocked P-Ms eat up FX-53s in benchmarks.

The downside is that you dont have very many motherboard options if you want to mount a P-M on a desktop mobo. In fact, you are limited to ASUS P4PXXX series mobos. This is largely due to the fact that ASUS is the only one that makes a skt479(P-M skt type) to skt478 convertor.

It can be tedious to set up for some due to the BIOS flashing required for the mobo to accept the convertor/new CPU.

But, if you can get through all that, and are able to overclock, you'll be sitting with a really powerful computer that doesnt produce much heat or take up much power:D

Elbatrop1 said:
Since the Dothans do a lot at a lower frequency, the FSB doesnt have to be as high to supply more memory bandwidth.

The P-Ms are powerhouses. I've seen overclocked P-Ms eat up FX-53s in benchmarks.

The downside is that you dont have very many motherboard options if you want to mount a P-M on a desktop mobo. In fact, you are limited to ASUS P4PXXX series mobos. This is largely due to the fact that ASUS is the only one that makes a skt479(P-M skt type) to skt478 convertor.

It can be tedious to set up for some due to the BIOS flashing required for the mobo to accept the convertor/new CPU.

But, if you can get through all that, and are able to overclock, you'll be sitting with a really powerful computer that doesnt produce much heat or take up much power:D
Interesting. That would be a neat little project. I wonder what kind of clock speeds people can get out of these things. :confused:

Netburst was a bad idea. initially, even the Pentium 3's were outperforming the Pentium 4's.
as a matter of fact, benchmarks show that 1.2GHZ Pentium 3's outperform 1.6GHZ Pentium 4's.

and the Pentium M's are basically redesigned Pentium 3's

Interesting. I knew that the last generation P3's were outperforming their new brothers, the Pentium 4's. But the stuff about netburst... That's cool. So maybe AMD will have some competition on the next round of processors?

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom