Data Transfer On Broken Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtcnafive0

Beta member
I have a Gateway desktop that's no good.
(It's going to cost more to repair than to buy a new computer)

What I want to do it transfer data from the internal hard drive to some other storage device before I get rid of the whole computer.(I haven't decided which storage to transfer to ie: laptop hard drive, CD/RW or flash drive).

The operating system will not boot properly, so I guess "transfer software" is out of the question.

Is there a way I can transfer or copy specific files and/or folders from the hard drive without booting the system?

Maybe taking the hard drive out of the case and hooking it up to something to transfer to??

Thanks for any info...

Yeah about the only thing you can do is take the hard drive out of that system and hook it up to another system , possibly XP because it has minimal problem seeing new hard ware even stuff with issues.

The desktop does not have a serial port.

I don't have another system to take it out of the case and hook it up to. I have a laptop, but you can't hook up a desktop HD to a laptop.

Like TURBO said, "Just instal the old HDD in a different machine."
I'm assuming you'll be getting another PC? The data on the old HDD will be fine, you hope. j/k.

When you get another machine that you'll be using, you can install the old HDD in it. For more information how to do this, post back on TF when you are ready and someone will walk you through it.

I'd advise a FULL (virus, adware, spyware) scan of that old drive before you copy or execute any files on it. Then once it's clean, transfer any data you want to the new HDD and format it. Then you'll have a another drive for additional storage. Or take it out if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom