Alternative to iPod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricB said:
I access my song directly through my alpine cd player. My friend access his through his pioneer and my neighbor his kenwood. your player will never be able to do that. I have a 40 gig cd changer

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=KCA-420i
you underestimate the power of the stock car stereo in a Ford Focus and a cassette deck adapter.

I'd rather not have to buy and install a CD-player, buy an iPod, and pay $100 for this adapter that I can only use in the car, when I can get another mp3 player that I prefer, and be done with the whole deal.

Even out of the car I would prefer not to have to look at the player. I know my playlists very well, so it's possible for me - I just need a player like the iRiver. I dunno, touch technology just seems misplaced on MP3 players after using it for a while.

I think we've already discovered that this is mostly preference though, so this may be a dead argument?

Eagleboy said:
you underestimate the power of the stock car stereo in a Ford Focus and a cassette deck adapter.

I'd rather not have to buy and install a CD-player, buy an iPod, and pay $100 for this adapter that I can only use in the car, when I can get another mp3 player that I prefer, and be done with the whole deal.

Even out of the car I would prefer not to have to look at the player. I know my playlists very well, so it's possible for me - I just need a player like the iRiver. I dunno, touch technology just seems misplaced on MP3 players after using it for a while.

I think we've already discovered that this is mostly preference though, so this may be a dead argument?

true, because who would want to manually access 10,000 song through a cassette deck adapter who response is only as good as it cassette (which alway have horrible frequecy response) head will allow. plus the that interface bypasses the ipod power, so you are sending a pure signal to the receiver.

but if you are cool with iriver, that's fine too, but most people like me would spend that 100 bucks on the interface.

that he I got interest in ipods. I went in columbus car audio to buy an apline 6 disc mp3 player changer ($329.00). I already had one changer,but that didn't play mp3, I want to access more songs. the guys there know me as I spent lot of money with them over the years. anyway they tell me that I'm better off buying an ipod (which they don't sell) and getting the interface, so I can have a 40 gig changer even though that info would cost them 200 buck as they didn't sell ipods. so for 71 more bucks (ipod 300, adapter 100) I went from a 4.2 gig changer (700mb x 6) to a 40 gig

As Crysalis said we use 3rd party (can you use 3rd party software on iriver?) software to better organize our music files. I use anapod explorer, myself.

EricB said:
true, because who would want to manually access 10,000 song through a cassette deck adapter who response is only as good as it cassette (which alway have horrible frequecy response) head will allow. plus the that interface bypasses the ipod power, so you are sending a pure signal to the receiver.

I'm concerned with high-quality audio at home. In the car, I drive. I drive to have fun, not to listen to high quality music. Music, yes, but I won't be listening for nuances in it like I do at home. Besides, I don't technically own my car (it's my parents), and my dad won't even let me put in a 3rd-party tach (I drive standard - Ford decides to put a tach in the automatic Taurus, but not in the standard Focus. WTF FORD), and I know he won't let me put in a new stereo. My money is better spent on things I need for school anyway, i.e. DSLR camera, film, paper, etc etc.

I do what I can, after I do what's needed.

eagle boy - make playlists in winamp, itunes, whatever, and put them on your ipod, the ipod has 5 buttons, enter, menu, pause.play, back and forward. i never look at my ipod when im driving. i make the playlist and push THROUGH my ipod sock thing it came with, not looknig at the screen, just as you're describing.

but if you want an ipod alternative, i suggest the iaudio X5. the zen and the iriver dont play videos and pictures last time i checked ...

plus this plays flac, vorbis, and other great compression types.

everyone here needs to STFU about ipods. the guy asked for an ipod alternative, and the anti-ipod guy with the big mouth started a flame war/arguement, just because he wants to be anti-apple.

go ahead eagleman, push your buttons, but when i have 12000 songs on a long list, i dont want to have to hold the button down or push it 20000 times to get to the song i want, i slide my thumb around and its the best feeling ever. trendy? yes. do i wish they looked different and werent all shiny? yes. but oh well, the interface is great, the quality is great, and itunes is alright.

oh, and the nueros is pretty good too, its just a little big...

Why argue more? I think the point has already been made, that this is completely preference - yet you're saying "stfu". Hmmm..... Hypocritical?

I don't think video should be a deal-breaker in MP3 players, either. Last I checked, MP3 players should play MP3s. Not videos.

It is my preference to not use or like touch-technology. I made this decision based on my experiences with various players, and my application for MP3 players. Although my list is 1,500 long, I prefer buttons. But, wait! Since you mentioned that you liked touch technology on MP3 players, I will instantly change my opinion and preference. This is all preference, thus arguing will do nothing.

Also, I'm not an idiot - I know how to make a playlist.

this just in. it's a money maker

Pod people
Popularity of iPod music players helps accessories market flourish
Monday, January 16, 2006
By John Boudreau SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS
KEN JAMES | BLOOMBERG NEWS
Apple CEO Steve Jobs is keeping up with the iPod accessory makers. Last week, he unveiled a radio remote for the music player.

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Call it the iPod wealth-creation machine.

When Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs opened this yearÂ’s Macworld by announcing an expectations-busting quarter of $5.7 billion in sales and 14 million iPods sold, it wasnÂ’t just investors and company executives who were giving each other high-fives. The iPod ecosystem cheered as well.

The iPod-accessory world now is a multibillion-dollar industry, said Richard Doherty of Envisioneering Group. He estimates $1 billion worth of accessories were sold during the recent holiday period alone, from iPod protectors to speakers to car accessories.

"ItÂ’s the iPod economy," Doherty said. "And Steve Jobs is the Alan Greenspan of that iPod economy."

On Thursday, investors were showing their love for the Cupertino, Calif., company as Apple Computer shares traded at $84.63, a high. In a note to investors, American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu called Apple a company with "arguably the industryÂ’s most powerful and complete" set of products, including hardware, software and services.

In the Macworld exhibition hall at San FranciscoÂ’s Moscone Center, where about 20 percent of the 330 vendors are selling iPod-related products, there was equal delight.

Jobs used the Macworld Conference & Expo’s opening Tuesday to announce the company’s line of Macintosh computers, with the introduction of the Intel-based iMac and MacBook Pro laptop. But iPod goodies — art deco slipcovers and high-end iPod earphones that sell for more than the music players — were not far from the stage.

The company has a symbiotic relationship with accessory manufacturers. Apple receives a licensing fee and royalties from companies whose products access the iPod port. And even if the company does not receive direct payments, the creative accessories that independent businesses come up with make iPods ever more desirable.

Not to be outdone by the accessory makers, Jobs introduced an iPod radio remote control at the show. The attachment provides wireless remote control as well as an FM radio tuner for newer iPods.

At this point, there seems to be no end to the iPod-related business plans. Chrysler recently announced that it will offer iPod-friendly equipment as an option in most of its 2006 models. Levi Strauss said it will sell jeans — called Levi’s RedWire DLX Jeans — with a docking cradle for the music device in a pocket.

Gavin Downey, BelkinÂ’s director of product management for mobile devices, said iPod accessories account for a "sizable" slice of sales for the consumer-electronics company. The company makes an array of iPod addons, including an FM transmitter and its "Kick-Stand" case for the video iPod player that allows people to watch shows without holding the device.

The digital music player has, indirectly, provided a business model for individual entrepreneurs, as well.

Gary Bart began his iPod accessory company, XtremeMac, after reading the first Apple news release announcing the introduction of its digital music player. He quit his job at a Florida data-storage company, quickly designed an iPod slipcover and set up a tiny booth at Macworld in January 2001.

"We had people lined up four across, 30 deep," Bart recalled.

He since has expanded his product line from an array of slipcovers, including ones decorated with professional sports logos, to a connection kit that allows people to play their iPod audio and video on home televisions.

Bart, whose products are offered in AppleÂ’s retail stores, expects his growing company to employ 140 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom