Low FPS on games, new computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbaBubby

Solid State Member
I just got a new computer, and I'm getting really low frame rates. It would jump up and down, like go up when I'm inside the building, and it would go down when I'm outside the building. I've tried everything, installing newer drivers, re-installing the games, etc... But unfortunatley(sp?) this is a used computer, which I bought from my brother, and he lost the discs for the hardware.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 3 ghz
1 GB of ram
Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT
Asus P4S800

Please help me! :(

Well, before I reformatted the computer, it was getting a steady 60-100 FPS at all times. Now the FPS drops down to 10-20 and goes back up to 50-60.

I've got roughly the same spec as you and I get about 30-40fps playing HL2 or CS:S on high settings. If your inside the frame rate will go up because there isn't alot to render compared to outside which has loads of things to render. It all depends what game you are playing but I found that upgrading my ram to 2gb helped out loads.

1. What games are you playing?

2. Are they on max settings with a high resolution. Your 6600GT wont be able to handle higher resolutions with high/highest settings on newer games

3. Do you know what detail levels your games were on before the format? (low, mid, high, max. etc.)

OK. You reformatted the computer... Did you download and install ALL the drivers for your mobo afterwards?

You may also want to look for the drivers of anything else on/in your computer (sound, graphics, etc.).

Check the device manager to see if there are any devices that have a '?' next to them. If there are, you need to install the drivers for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom