Back in the AMD saddle -advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Memory is not an issue at all when you're talking about Athlon 64's. The memory controllers are in the CPU chip itself. When the Venice cores and comparable models came out, they really perfected it, and it accepts almost any kind of DDR ram.

I disagree with the 2gb of ram thing. He'll be throwing money away... 2gb of ram is for people who game with games with HUGE environments. It's not necessary for applications and tasks.

Ryan

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
I disagree with the 2gb of ram thing. He'll be throwing money away... 2gb of ram is for people who game with games with HUGE environments. It's not necessary for applications and tasks.

Ryan

Do you know how RAM works? A process can take up as much as 1GB of RAM.

If you're going to get an ASUS Geforce 6600 card, make sur eyou get the silenced edition. Instead of a noisy fan it has a big aluminium heatsink. The card you are looking at on newegg is the Asus geforce 6600 EXTREME Edition. Basically its geared towards overclockers so they can overclock the core. But since you're not a huge gamer you probably don't need this, just get the silenced edition.

Flanker said:
Do you know how RAM works? A process can take up as much as 1GB of RAM.

Do YOU know how ram works there trigger? What processes are you running? I mean, that must be some meeean web surfing you're doing there.

Ryan

Battlefield 2 takes up 1150MB on Highest settings. Windows 2000 takes up 200MB system RAM. Thats 1350MB right there. If you've got 1GB, you're not doing well. Your FPS will fluctuate like **** (I know, mine does on max). Thats why you have to set the settings to a more manageable level (Med settings = 650MB).

tasr said:
The main purpose for a new system;
DVD editing (Home Video not sure of software yet)
Image editing (PhotoShop 7)
Burning CDs and DVDs (probably NERO)
Little web stuff and surfing
Over Clocking and getting back in the AMD saddle

Hmm... Guess I Missed the part about BF2 on highest settings... psh.

Ryan

You also missed the part of me saying that a processor (not necessarily BF2) can take up as much as 1GB of RAM by itself. DVD burners especially take 600MB on my system.

yeah, you're talking in a circle that's not there... 600mb isn't a gig... add in an operating system and 10 instances of firefox, and you're still good to go.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom