running 4 x 512 memory on DFI NF4

Status
Not open for further replies.

espeed

In Runtime
Does anyone know of any issues I may face trying to run 4 x 512mb DIMMS on the DFI NF4 Ultra-D. Ive had one person tell me they could only get 2 slots to work?? Is there an issue here i shoudl know about as I plan to keep my existing memory which is 4 x 512mb of Twinmos PC-3200.

Cheers.

are you referring to the problems with some AMD 64 memory controllers? because as far as i know that particular problem has been fixed in the AMD X2's which im getting.

Can you confirm this?

Nope. The older memory controllers would run your memory at 333MHz.

With Venices, you're running 400MHz, but at 2T timings instead of 1T, and that results in a performance loss, comparable to 10MHz or so.

ok, but the X2 3800+ is a Manchester core, and I have read this article http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cp...lon64-x2_2.html which talks of the advanced memory controller in the Manchester/Toledo cores.

This is the part of the article which im referring to:

"Athlon 64 X2 processors are based on the Toledo and Manchester cores with E stepping, i.e. their functionality is similar to that of the Athlon 64 processors on San Diego and Venice cores (except for the ability to process two computational threads simultaneously). Athlon 64 X2 also supports SSE3 instructions and features an enhanced memory controller. Among the peculiarities of the memory controller of the new Athlon 64 X2 I would like to mention the support of different memory DIMMs in different channels (it even allows installing memory modules of different capacity in different channels) and the support of up to four double-sided DIMMs in DDR400 mode."

Does your explanation still apply after reading this? thanks for the help.

Why don't you read my explanation and decide for yourself? I know about the enhanced memory controller. It used to be that if you ran memory in all 4 slots the system would underclock the memory to 333Mhz. With the enhanced memory controller (starting from Venice upwards) you're able to run your memory at 400Mhz, but at 2T timings instead of 1T. That results in a performance loss. For your assistance, I said that the loss was like losing 10MHz.

The difference between 1T and 2T wouldn't be anywhere near 10MHz...no different than any other latency, you're literally talking about nanoseconds that aren't going to be detectable to a human and aren't going to show up in real world performance

Now obviously 1T will bench better in Sandra or something than 2T...but that's like saying 2.1Ghz does better than 2.05GHz, you're not going to see any real difference

Some of the newer A64s can run 4x512mb in 1t at ddr400, but dont expect any overclocking in 1t.

Its not the processor that runs it 1T, its the motherboard.

And those little nanoseconds add up. You DO feel the difference between 2-2-2-5 and 3-3-3-8 don't you? Those are also nanoseconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom