Lintball

Baseband Member
Ok heres the deal.
I have a:

Compaq
PIII 1 ghz
128mb Ram
Ati Radeon 9250 256mb

it's obvious that i need a new pc...i want to be able to play some newer games with good performance and my half life games with better performance...my mom doesn't want to spend $800 dollars to buy me a pc with an Athlon 64. I know that semprons aren't great chips but would it be worth it to get a pc with a highclocked sempron ?

PIII 1ghz vs. 2800+ - 3000+ Sempron

Actually, a Sempron tends to be a fairly nice chip for the budget seeker. It's an Athlon 64 with a crippled L2 cache. I'd recommend a Sempron to anyone, anytime! That's a VERY worthy upgrade.

Ryan

Make sure you get a Sempron with AMD64. As long as you have that, I too would recommend them.

Well, I'm pretty sure he was talking about a socket 754 sempron, which automatically supports 64 bit computing. And also, the socket A semprons didn't go past 2600 or so, did they?

Ryan

I think the highest Socket A Sempron is either 2600+ or 2800+. Either way, Socket A Semprons aren't worth it.

Any word of Socket 939 Semprons? I'm guessing they'll come out with the Socket AM2 comes out.

your PC is pretty good right now, as long as its running windows 98. i would only recommend more RAM for games, as your video card has more memory that your PC!

If you upgrade your processor, you'll have to upgrade your RAM too. If you choose to get the Sempron, I recommend at least 512MB of PC3200.

"Any word of Socket 939 Semprons?"

There out there I have a hp sr1610nx that I recently picked up for 199 after rebates new years day. Its a sempron 3200+(1.8 GHz) socket 939 great 939 starting point for under 200 with windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom