Memory downclocking utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

uber

Baseband Member
I need to downclock my memory to 166, but my bios only lets me do it down to 266. Can someone recommend a good program to do this?

There is no program. If you can do it in the BIOS then you cant do anywhere else.

Tell us why you need it down to 166 and maby we will have another solution to your problem.

Games on my computer, most notably steam games, crash after around 15 minutes of gameplay. Before I got this computer I was an avid builder on gmod and my friends are all helping me with it, unfortuneatly they wuoldnt be able to tell a 40 pin IDE connector from a PCI slot. They dont know anything about computers. When I downclock the memory I can play for longer. I heard that putting it at 166 will fix the problem. Can you help me?

System specs:

p4 3.0ghz
radeon 9800 pro 128 agp
512 kingston hyperx 256x2 dual channel ram
western digital 80 gig hd
msi pt880 neo fsb mobo
350 watt power supply
sound blaster live 24 bit soundcard
ethernet card

You seem to be putting a bandaid on an underlying problem. A really bad bandaid, at that.

If your RAM is causing errors, then it's time to RMA it. Kingston RAM has a lifetime warrenty, so why not get the most out of that.

Even if, magically, you were able to underclock your RAM that far, it would seriously cause problems with system performance. It's supposed to be running at DDR400, and you want to bring it down to DDR166? That's more than halving your memory bandwidth.

Elbatrop1 said:
You seem to be putting a bandaid on an underlying problem. A really bad bandaid, at that.

If your RAM is causing errors, then it's time to RMA it. Kingston RAM has a lifetime warrenty, so why not get the most out of that.

Even if, magically, you were able to underclock your RAM that far, it would seriously cause problems with system performance. It's supposed to be running at DDR400, and you want to bring it down to DDR166? That's more than halving your memory bandwidth.

Thanks for the help, but I have rma'ed it before, and it didn't help. But I realize now that its not the DDR that I need to relax, it is the memory timing. I have been reading around and I have discovered that alot of users running steam games on dual channel memory have needed to relax their memory timings. Now, on my ram, what would the relaxed timings be?

well, raise them all by 1, and see if the problem still occurrs. if so, raise by another 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom