hard drive idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bringerofdeath

Beta member
i was just wondering if anyone has heard or seen a hard drive that was encased in a clear plastic shell and had LEDs in the corners to light the whole hard drive up.

i was just wondering if it would work because information is taken off the hard drive magneticly right so the LEDS would not interfere i dont think.
:confused:

plastic + heat = bad. it would not make sense to use a plastic shell. hard disk get hot enough to melt even hard plastic. plastic is not strong enough to contain the moving mechenisms. you probably wont find this product, not much consumer interest. you can probably rig some diodes onto the hard disk and synch them to the hard disk LED.

sounds like a really good idea and honestly i would like to do it...but you would need some good heat treated plexi glass...then cut a hole in the bottom of it...place a good 80mm or even a 60mm delta fan on the bottom of it...so that way it has room to breathe...then i would make another hole on the top to push air through...or vis versa...you would want an half an inch to an inch of distance between the HD and the plexi glass to allow good air movement...good luck

yea i would use eaither plexiglass or lexan. I think lexan is better for heat but dont be sure about that. If you really want it to look cool, u can put some LEDS in it and maybe a little fan at the top of it. Like a 24MM fan. I think they sell those right? or even maybe 2. But yea i think it can be done.

wow thats pretty cool lol. But i mean wont that only be good if u have a external HD? becuase no ones gonna see it..

Well, plexi cases come to mind. I also know people have windowed HDDs mounted in the top of the case with a window on the top as well.

That one actually failed- but I dont think it had anything to do with the LED, I think he fudged it while taking the thing apart.

another problem with that is, cutting plexiglass is a *****. I tryed it before and cutting 1 piece in a stright line is so hard. Now cutting it with a shape liek must be really hard...

Well it did for 10 mins, and then it made some noises, head moved rather erratically, lolled to one side and stayed there – hmmmm doesn’t sound too good. Off with the power. Let’s place our patient in our diagnostic bed (well inside my PC). Switch ON. OK so the bios found the drive as “D”; windows booted up, and found it as well. So far.So good.

Time for a brain scan (sorry scandisk)Â…Â…Â….Oh Oh, 30 mins later.Prognoses not looking good. Lets try and format itÂ…Â…Â….no joy, still no lifeÂ…Â…Â…Â…..looks like time of death 11:30pm , its passed away and gone to hard drive heaven.

Well its post Morton time. LetÂ’s look at the platen to start with Â…Â…. HmmmÂ…. Marks on it! Together with some moisture!!! Looks like some waters got in there probably in the air, while I was putting it all back together. (Should have left it a while longer before I went in the bath room) dam heads damaged the platen.

Oh well it least it had a doner card, so the cover going to be kept until a replacement hard drive comes along (now I had its twin around here some where, itÂ’ll turn up) Egor look in those other PCÂ’s , then Ricenstein will returnÂ…Â…..ha haHA HA HA HAÂ…Â…Â…..life, there will be LIFE ! Â…. Untill the next time.

I wondered about that, if there was a lot of moisture in the bathroom then it would do that......o well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom