can't watch videos on computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thane of Cawdor

Baseband Member
Whenever I try to watch a music video online my computer gets extremely slow and the video never loads. If I look at video's on firefox or IExplorer they start to take up 99% of CPU and my CPU meter hits 100% causing the computer to studder and I have to ctrl+alt+del and end watever internet process to fix it.
I have flash, shockwave, realplayer, quicktime, and wmp all installed so I don't think it's a driver issue and I have a strong computer (I fixed my RAM problem) so I don't see why I can't watch a simple 3 minute video.
I've also attempted to watch a video on gamespot too just to make sure it's not the site where I am getting the music videos from but I still couldn't load the video.
Does anyone know if there is something I should do?
I'll do anything except for re-install windows.

Are you refering to streaming videos? With Windows Media Player?

Are you using a Router? Because I had a client of mine call me with the same issue, "Slow response, high CPU, freezing or crashing" during streaming video playback.

It turns out that MS has a hotfix available for windows media player for those who have this issue with use of a router.

IF you are using a router... Try connecting directly, bypass the router. See if you still have the issue.

HAVOC2k5 said:
Are you refering to streaming videos? With Windows Media Player?

Are you using a Router? Because I had a client of mine call me with the same issue, "Slow response, high CPU, freezing or crashing" during streaming video playback.

It turns out that MS has a hotfix available for windows media player for those who have this issue with use of a router.

IF you are using a router... Try connecting directly, bypass the router. See if you still have the issue.

When you say a router, do you mean wireless internet coming from a wireless router? If so then yes I have a linksys G wireless router.
And I have a Leadtek Winfast 6600GT.
I am having problems streaming video online.
For example: I goto windows media player guide and look for a music video and click on the song I want. Then aol music opens and the video tries to start buffering. As soon as the buffering begins the computer just starts to freeze up. Not a complete freeze---all I have to do is turn off firefox to stop the problem.

Thane of Cawdor said:
When you say a router, do you mean wireless internet coming from a wireless router? If so then yes I have a linksys G wireless router.
And I have a Leadtek Winfast 6600GT.
I am having problems streaming video online.
For example: I goto windows media player guide and look for a music video and click on the song I want. Then aol music opens and the video tries to start buffering. As soon as the buffering begins the computer just starts to freeze up. Not a complete freeze---all I have to do is turn off firefox to stop the problem.

This is the same exact problem my client had.

Try wiring your PC directly to you CABLE/DSL modem.
See if your streaming video problem is corrected.

If it is, the it's a wireless router issue. There is a MS hotfix available, you just need to search Microsoft for it.

well I'm downloading service pack 2 just too make sure I can get everything possible.
I've also found out that songs I have on my computer sometimes skip around. The songs are all form different CD's so it's not like the CD I ripped was messed up.
Now I don't know if this can be a problem but I have Soundman and Realtek installed on my computer and I don't know if that could cause a problem.

Just downloaded windows sp2 and still my music skips and video doesn't work. Should I make sure that everything is in place with my motherboard? Because connection the sound on my motherboard is more complicated than with other mobos.

my advice would be to go to your website of your video card's manufacturer and download the latest driver. Or open device manager (if you have XP its Start>Control Panel>Printers and Other Hardware>System>Hardware>Device Manager). Once you are there, check if any of your hardware has a yellow exclamation mark beside it. If it does, update the drivers, or repair the drivers, for the hardware that is corrupt. Once all of the exclamation marks are gone, then your hardware SHOULD be ok, but i would check for updates on all of your video drivers and multimedia drivers, because the device manager will not tell you that your drivers are out of date. I beleive that this is the easiest way to solve your problem, but if this does not work, then your problem is a bit deeper that I expect and is beyond my knowledge. Hope i helped!

I just downloaded some more windows hotfixes and my computer works faster and videos play nicely. I haven't tested music yet because my brother is on but I'll post bak later.

Songs don't skip unless I open up a new program. I dont understand why though. I have 1.5 gigs and a processor running at 2.2ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom