Prefetch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikillyou61

Banned
how do you disable the prefetch?

C:/windows/prefetch

In that folder if you haven't noticed it has files that slows down your computer and when you delete them and go on the internet more go in that folder!!!

I want to find out a way to stop that so If anyone knows please help me!!!

Dont disable this. You will notice a major decrease in performance if there even is a way to do this. The prefetch is like CACHE so to speak. It is good to delete it every once in a while, but not daily.

1. run "regedit";
2. goto [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters\EnablePrefetcher];
3. Set the value to either 0-Disable.
4. reboot.

If you're like me your system only has about 128megs of RAM. The Windows XP Prefetch can take a lot of this up by preloading programs at boot as well as preloading programs you often use thus sucking away your available RAM.

On my system, a Dell PIII 866 with 128 megs of RAM, I was able to greatly boast my system performance by disabling Prefetch all together. It used to take a half hour for the disk to stop thrashing after stopping Nortons SpeeDisk, Now it stops instantly.

Note: This tweak worked for this user and their system configuration but disabling prefetch on other systems may have a bad effect as it might free up ram but it also could increase program start up time.

Here's how to disable Prefetch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom