1 Gig Or 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah, burned-ati, your avatar is um.......wow...... :p

If you can afford to get 2gb of ram, go for it. You will use it sooner or later. Its not that much more expensive comparitivley and you will notice a difference.

Wow burned-ati .. your last avatar was mesmerizing, though it pushed the limits. This is just tasteless. I doubt you'll get away with it. :D

Anyway, you might as well get as much RAM as you can. It's not like RAM requirements are going to go down.

Burned-Ati come on man this is a tech forum, why do you put an avatar like that on, you know it will just annoy people. As for ram, go 2bg when you can afford to do so, its going to become the norm soon.

I don't know if anyone tried to run HL2 on 512mb's but I did and it was unplayable, so I would recomend taking that down MrZucchiniHead, might confuse people.

Anyway, with older cards, 2gb's is a waste of money, but on faster cards you need it to have it on higher settings. But 4gb's is a waste, as it bogsa down the memory controller.

512MB is not enough. 1GB is the bare minimum. If you are basing this off 3dMark05, then you are an idiot because 3dMark05 doesn't test anything but the graphics card. CPU or RAM don't matter in that benchmark. Try compaing a game like FEAR or BF2 between 512MB and 2GB and I bet there will be a difference.

I don't know why people have suddenly convinced themselves that they need anything more than 1GB because you really don't...I remember several years ago I bought 1GB back when it was still taboo thinking it would provide much faster responsive time and the only real difference I noticed between it and 512MB was the system took a bit less time to start up and end processes...apart from that absolutely nothing changed and it sure wasn't worth the extra money

The biggest issue with larger memory sizes at this point is I/O bandwidth and the fact that your memory controller simply won't be able to handle the memory efficently...now 2GB of DDRII-667 might be practical but I'm not sure how much of a difference that'll make with HTT but the higher latencies certainly won't like the LDT latencies but that's another issue

My point is quite simple, you ask what people need 2GB for and most will respond "BF2"...you ask them for another example and most will go silent...I ask you if there is enough justification to buy extra memory for one game when the memory size itself it limited by bandwidth

If anything more VRAM would become a larger issue before more system RAM but yet again the limiting factor becomes I/O bandwidth...furthermore you also do need to consider PPUs with dedicated GDDR memory eliminating all physics instruction sets from system memory

Just food for thought

Here, most of the game's that come out today require 256, but say it would be better if you had 512, Im my opinion get 1 gig for now, a single stick of 1 gig...
Then later down the road get a second 1 gig stick, so on so forth, 1 gig will be more then enough for anything!!!

GET 1 gig final~~~!!! (single stick)

But then you don't get dual channel with its 6.4gb's/s bandwidth (yay (insert sarcastic smilie))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom