BSoD: Blue Screen of Death!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solearius

Solid State Member
Yezzzzzzir!

Way to kick off a Friday the 13th. I just recently got the infamous BSoD (Blue Screen of Death) on my pc. It won't even allow me to start up Windows. So I have decided to just go ahead and format.

When attempting to format using my XP Boot Disk, I got the following error:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Is it possible the BSoD physically owned my hard drive and I have to purchase a whole new one? I don't think that's even POSSIBLE!

Let me know!

Solearius

It could be that the drive simple died. The error you got means the drive is not responding. When your computer turns on does it list any harddrive. Because if windows doesn't detect it then the drive most likely had a physical failure.

And unless you get this one working you will need another one. You can try slaving this drive in another computer, to see if you can back up any information.

Ste said:
It could be that the drive simple died. The error you got means the drive is not responding. When your computer turns on does it list any harddrive. Because if windows doesn't detect it then the drive most likely had a physical failure.

And unless you get this one working you will need another one. You can try slaving this drive in another computer, to see if you can back up any information.

Yeah.

I'd hate to say but my 40GB Maxtor could be in it's final days. :p

It doesn't really recognize it when I try to boot as if it weren't plugged in.

All this right after installing Office 2000. Maybe that's the reason why?

Also, how do I go about slaving my drive to another computer so try and save some of my information?

You would connect your drive to the Same IDE Channal as the Active drive except that you would change the settings on your Drive to Slave so that it would be seen as "Storage". So its possible to copy the files over to the good harddrive. If it still works.

I appreciate it man.

I think I'll go buy a new Maxtor 200GB S-ATA Drive.

Are those better than the IDE Drives? :p

Solearius

I would really buy a seagate or Western digital.

S-ATA is faster then IDE transfer speed wise, but your motherboard needs to have Built in S-ATA ports for you to use it.

^Dagger!

Looks like my computer will be side benched for a while..

You know if I can use a SATA hard drive on my ECS K7S5A mobo?

Yes I know, it's OLD! :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom