Back in the AMD saddle -advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tasr

Beta member
Hello,

Need some advice. I value all your expertise and opinions and all are welcome. Building a new rig and it's been about six years since my last AMD (I think it was a 233mz on a AOpen mother board). Well I have been stuck in an Intel world and need to get out. So I thought it would be fun to build an AMD and maybe do some OCing. I'm no rookie just a little rusty of the new stuff. Built plenty of Intel and AMD, 600mz and below machines. So any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The main purpose for a new system;
DVD editing (Home Video not sure of software yet)
Image editing (PhotoShop 7)
Burning CDs and DVDs (probably NERO)
Little web stuff and surfing
Over Clocking and getting back in the AMD saddle

I want Fast bus speeds, IO and Access times. Really need to know the compatibility of below or a variance staying in MID price range. I'm Really not sure of board and memory combination and a good CPU cooling solution would also be help full.

A System I'm thinking of;
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB 1MB

ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
Thought about DFI can handle the challenge but I'm long time Asus builder Not really into SLI or see the advantage now.

OCZ Gold GX 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
OCZ is not supported on Asus A8N-E neither is OCing or would the next two memory choices also be fine for what I want? I'm also thinking of 2GB.
Kingston HyperX 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400

2 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s HD's

ENERMAX Liberty ELT500AWT ATX12V 500W PSU
I want definitely want modular will this still do?
Ultra X2 550W PSU - Titanium

ASUS EN6600/TD/256 Geforce 6600 256MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card
Could use maybe another recommendation for a video card that would work with this board/memory combination.

Pioneer Black IDE DVD Burner Model DVR-110DBK

ASUS Black ATAPI DVD-ROM Drive Model E616A

Thank's for your help.

tasr said:
Well I have been stuck in an Intel world and need to get out.

You're my new Best Friend.

For what you're using your PC for, I'd recommend going with a Dual-Core processor. If you could tell us your budget, it would really help. But this is really good.

Motherboard is good.

As for RAM, all RAM is supported, no matter what it says. Go with the OCZ Gold since you plan on overclocking, though I hear this one does better.

Hard Drives are good.

Stick with the Enermax PSU.

Are you planning on playing games? If not, then that videocard will do fine. If you are, we could recommend another one. Again, we would need to know how much more you can spend.

Everything else looks good. Post if you need anything else, or if I forgot something.

I would also consider Dual Core like Flanker said. You will really notice it in programs like photo shop and video editing programs.

Oh yea! Thanks Reggie, I forgot he was overclocking during the motherboard part, lol. Yea, the DFIs are the best for overclocking.

looks pretty decent but as the others said definately dual core. I was stuck in the intel world too but I survived it :) if you do plan on gaming go with a 6600gt minimum 6800 / 7800 any series would be preferable.

Thank's Flanker,

Budget max $1500

You think Dual-Core processor is necessary for DVD editing? Not like I'm really multitasking, I think. Will I experience some high processing loads over 60% in doing so? The AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester split the cache, would this be an issue in high IO?

Would 2GB RAM help? I believe the motherboard factory test's are to guaranty working ability. Just look for any issues with this RAM and motherboard combinations. What I've detected through forums is maybe some people donÂ’t understand BIOS settings and the tweaking of their RAM to fit motherboard. So then they bash the RAM as been junk.

Not really a gamer, may load some old games Like MechWarrior 4 and the DVD version of Myst.

You want to do other stuff while doing dvd editing don't you? Not absolutely necessary, but helpful. The cache isn't split, its just a different core. You could get the X2 4400+ which is 2.2Ghz and 1MB L2 cache per core.

2GB of RAM WOULD help. Seriously don't think there will be any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom