My router is a piece of crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth

Baseband Member
Alright I tried to play age of empires II online. I used a DSL connection which of course involves a router. I got all the way to the setting up multiplayer game screen and then it said unable to join game. So then I used a dial up connection on my same computer and it worked. The only think that was different in the equation was the router, leading me to believe it's crap. It's supposed to do the work instead of the computer, but it seems it is uncapable. Does this make sense and does anyone know how to fix it? Or does anyone know about any good routers that you can buy?

Have you tried opening the ports that those games use ? Most routers, especially firewalled routers have the ability to be manually set..

Sorry about post in the wrong section. Anyway thanks, sorry I don't know that much about this.

Can you be more specific about:
1. Brand Name and model number of ther Router
2. What game are you trying to play?
3. Are you running any firewall software like ZoneAlarm?
-Target

I am using a speedstream 5660. I am trying to play age of empires two on MSN gaming zone. No I do not have a firewall up. I think it might have something to do with the IP address being the same on all of these types of routers. As I said earlier it has to be the router because it works with dialup but not DSL.

The IP address shouldn't have anything to do with the gaming experience. Does the gateway/router that you are using have an option to place a PC outside the firewall in a DMZ? If it does, try placing your IP outside using this bit and then try playing again.

-Mike

Heres the problem (well.. a possiblitly). You said you have DSL, and no firewall on the router. It still wont connect.... heres what you do: Go to your ISP's website (or call them), ask how to setup your MODEM as a bridge, as many of the DSL modems come with ports blocked (dont ask why :rolleyes: ).. but once you do that, you need to let your router do what your modem was origianally doing.. which is PPPoE, login to your router, look around for "connection type", it should say "dynamic" unless you have static.. and you would know. Now in the list of what it could be, you should see PPPoE, you have to set it to that, but then you need your username and password from the isp (you set it up when you get DSL). Let's say you have sprint (like me :D ), it my modem came with ports blocked (such as games and serving), I had to do this, my username is what my email address is.. like whatever@earthlink.net .... your modem should have a default password (your ISP can tell you), but your password for the account is different.. so figure all that out.. tell me if it helped, if not, then im sorry.
And you said that you don't have a firewall.. I think you do (it's still the modem :p ), so you would need to forward the ports (for games they are always UDP).. so try that. OR DMZ hosting like someone already said.

I would go to Siemens website to look for infomation on how to open the right port and or setup the DMZ. If that fails call Siemens customer service.

Ok so I set the router to bridge mode and then change the connection type to PPPoE and it should work?

Sephiroth said:
Ok so I set the router to bridge mode and then change the connection type to PPPoE and it should work?

Close.. lol, set the MODEM to bridge, and router connection type to PPPoE. (there's a lot to change on the modem settings.. usually have to telnet into that..... call your isp and ask tech support how to do it, ive never heard of an isp that didnt know how)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom