Need to build a basic computer for the inlaws-advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockhead21784

Solid State Member
Hello,

I need to build a basic computer for my inlaws. I built myself one a couple of years back, but they don't need anything spectacular.

They are looking for a basic internet surfing/bills paying computer. They don't need a gaming/overclocking/watching movies computer. Just a boring basic computer. I finally talked them out of the 200mhz computer they have from 1994.

Any suggestions? Should I just get them a cheap new computer from dell or should I try to build something with ebay (pay for a combo mobo/cpu/memory deal or similar) or buy new stuff from newegg. I can handle putting it together myself, i just need some suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

I'd just purchase them a new pre-built system because if they ever need any help with problems, they can call the manufacturer, instead of you.

I don't know, would you want them calling you everyday because they did something stupid like download a virus or if they're flooded with spyware and they're asking you to get it out?

I think it'd be a lot easier just to buy the system. Plus, as you said, it's going to be a system that will only be paying bills/checking e-mails, things of that sort... so why even go through the hassle and purchase the parts, put it together (even though thats not hard)? Just get them a regular pre-built system.

Also, be sure just to go over what they should do and not do with a computer these days. I have a feeling they might be newbies and might be susceptible to vulnerabilities. I may be wrong.

Let me know what you do, cheers.

I definitely agree with Pratik. For a while I thought about building computers for people around where I live, make some cash and have fun.. but then I realized if anything goes wrong, its your responsibility to fix it. This way, if anything goes wrong with the hardware, the company will take care of the warranty and not you. As to who you should buy it from, I dont know much about pre-builts. Perhaps Dell? Best of luck!

Definitely, just go there, maybe increase the RAM a little bit, and then that's it. You're done. Dell will deal with them if they have any PC problems.

be generous, lol

go to dell, and buy the cheapest system

they now have 80 GB drives, 512 MB RAM, CD-RW, and should be around $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom