Rename a folder...comp freezes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1234

Beta member
I'm about to jump off my house and body slam this computer i'm building for my sisters.

Intel D945GNT motherboard
Pentium 4 processor 2.6 ghz
SATA maxtor HD

I have Windows XP Professional SP2 loaded up.

I've been able to replicate this error I get every single time without fail.

1.) boot up, no problemo.
2.) log into a user account, no problemo.
3.) right click desktop, goto add new folder, proceed to rename the folder.

When I click enter to submit the folder being renamed the folder completely freezes. I can try to do other stuff on the computer while it's frozen but eventually it's just hopeless.

4.) Proceed to do an install on a file that would install some RAID drivers as I'm hoping they would help the sata disk somehow.

Before even getting to the install, the setup processes freezes.

I have been working through so many issues on this system for the last week, i'm exhausted and giving up. I don't know what else to do. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

NOTE: Solutions Tried:
Defragging, scandisking, updated the bios, managed to get a few other updates installed before everything freezes all the time, removed other hardware such as creative sound card, tried installing other updates through safe mode with no luck.

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
If you get files not found during the copying stage.

Blaster worm warning: Do not immediately activate over the internet when asked, enable the XP firewall before connecting to the internet. You can activate after the firewall is enabled. Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click the connection you use, Properties and there is a check box on the Advanced page.

Thank you for the suggestion, it did the trick from what I can see so far. I guess I was so set on thinking it was a Harddrive/Sata issue that I didn't consider doing a Windows repair. Needless to say, i'm now a fan of these forums :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom