Luck's gonna have to be on my side!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
Ok here's the story. My friend bought a 7800gt a couple months ago for like 400 bucks on newegg right when they came out and finally got to open it for x-mas. He put it in and the card was doa. I laughed but didnt tell him because it gave a picture but wouldnt 100% run. He ended up buying an expensive psu, which oviously didnt fix it. I then told him how it was the card and he should have just ordered for x-mas. His excuse, I wanted cod2. Anyway I some how ****ed him off and now I agreed to a bet to build a $1,000 build that can beat a 3dmark 2005 score of 8,000. The price if I loose/win, I gain/loose 500 bucks. Me being 15, that is kind of alot of money. Anyway I thought if I got really lucky with a opty 145, a 7800gt and 1gb ram and oc with supreme cooling, I could easily break 8k. I figured I could hit like 520/1250 with 7800, maybe 2.5ghz with opty and maybe oc ram to help score. The other thing he said is if I feel "ballsy" enough to challenge him to the highest 3dmark score for a total of a $750 bet. (maybe $1,000 if I make him feel he's got advantage, even though he probably wont at that point) Lmao, it got good real fast! So anyone got any ideas for this. Build must stay at $1,000 or less without shipping and plan to order off of newegg. My strategy: buy some cheap oc'able parts and spend alot on cooling and hit insane oc's if I get lucky with parts...... Oh yeah his rig is ok I guess. Its an early non-oc'ed 3200 from like a month after release of venice core and highly oc'able I think. Hes got a new 7800gt coming in with copper heatsink on it and a lifetime warrenty, so he'll definatly try to beat me no matter what with gpu. Also a gig of value ocz ram. I figure I can beat him and take 1k home but, just want to make sure. :)

well the only idea i have is dont buy cdrom drives or a case, so you will have more money for cooling you say

go for either a bfg 7800gt or an eVGA 7800gt
get a nice oc able opty
1 gig of kingston hyper x pc4000
that msi mobo
and hsf wise id go with the big typhoon with this fan
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/de12tfexhisp.html
220cfm

i say get two and use one of the ram or gfx card

run with out a case
and use extra monitor and mouse keyboard.
also use any old sata hdd

and if you have any money left get a sound blaster x-fi sound card
they have been known to improve framerates. But whatever u do dotn use onboard sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom