adsl modem won't go overseas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag100

Baseband Member
I just installed a dynalink home dsl modem, with usb connection. Had the phone provider change the phone line to ADSL.
MSN & Yahoo messenger work fine, Australian sites work fine, but I can't open overseas sites! The guy at the shop is stumped, as am I. My dial up works 100% overseas.
I tried turning off the firewall- zonealarm.
Ideas anyone?

ag100

Huh? That doesn't mak any sense. You are addressing the world wide web. Dial up and DSL are just access protocols and DSL is has a broader bandwidth and faster upload and dwonload speeds. Could you be more specific. Is it a website you cannot accsess? Sounds like a firewall issue to me but then I'm completely at a loss concerning what you are asking.

Edit: Do not hook up that modem usb. You are better off direct wiring through your NIC card. Otherwise you may have some packette loss issues. There is a LAN connector on that modem. Just use the standard 10Base2 twisted wire that SBC supplied and hook direct to the modem from your NIC.

Thanks for your reply Rico- I can access any site ending with .au while on DSL. I can use MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger & my Outlook Express.
As soon as I click any overseas site, the browser stays blank, & eventually comes up as 'page not found.'
If I go off DSL & connect through dialup- with the same **** browser, everthing works AOK.
I'm afraid I don't know what a NIC card is, or what you mean by that- insert blank look.
I've tried everything I can think of & everyone I know is stumped!
It's IE6 Win98 on an old Compaq Deskpro.
It's driving me crazy... Whoever figures this one out deserves a prize!

ag100

The NIC = Network Interface Card: Since that is an older computer, I presume it is a P3, It might not have a built in Network card and given that it is winows 98, not worry about it and just connect is usb. Give me the address and I'll try to log on from my DSL and I'll let you know what happens and then we'll go form there.

No it hasn't got an NIC- what address are you talking about?

I wouldn't have thought it'd be this complicated- all these great minds stumped? :)

ag100

Tried installing Mozilla Firefox, it's still the same. On dialup I can browse anywhere in the world, but with ADSL within Australia only.
Hasn't this ever happened b4?
Guys- I'll never be more than a junior techie if no one ever tells me anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom