Installing XP home on a dinosaur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erty

Solid State Member
I was helping a friend to install xp on his really old gateway (sorry, but I don't remember the model). Everything went fine until the installation was finished. When I booted up the computer, the only profile on the startup menu was password protected. When I tried entering a password, an error message came up saying that the domain couldn't be contacted or didn't exist.
I was using a recovery disk from a different, and somewhat newer gateway, so I don't know if that caused the problem. Any light shed on why this error occurred would be greatly appreciated.

You should never use a recovery disk from a different model man.

By doing so, you installed drivers, files, promotions, core dll's, and preferences that were specific to another PC and most likely out of date.

Contact Gateway and get the correct disks.

To be exact, I do have the correct disk. The correct disk had 98 on it, and my friend's parents wanted xp. I usually would have said that it wouldn't work, but then the disk (newer one) said that it was compatible with all gateway comps.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Recovery discs may say they are compatable with all Gateway PCs, but what they really mean is they are compatable with all Gateway PCs released in that time. Using a new recovery disc on a very old Gateway just isn't going to happen. If it came with Windows 98, it may or may not run XP either. How old exactly is it?

The model number is G6-366C. I did some looking around but couldn't find out how old it is. I'm assuming is is at least 6 or 7 years old. Anyway, I got my friend's parents to go with windows 98 so its kind of a mute point now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom