Beta member
I am working on a Compaq Desktop EN P933
which has a 933mhz processor obviously
and also 512mb of RAM
running WinXP Home edition

Windows takes about 5-10 minutes to load before it gets to the login screen
Folders can take over 10 seconds to load
Even clicking the start menu takes 5-10 seconds

I booted up in Knoppix from CD-ROM and ran bad blocks on the hard drive...
After 5 hours it wasn't even 1/10th of the way through, but it did not find any badblocks within that time, so I don't think it's the hard drive.

I've run a virus scan, Ad-Aware, HijackThis, and the whole deal and found nothing.
BTW the virus scan was just finishing when I woke up in the morning after running it the night before! (8 hours or so)

I've had some people tell me it's the Motherboard or even just the IDE controller. what are some other thoughts on this?

Also, if it is the motherboard... could someone more patient than myself PLEASE check the Compaq site to try to find what model motherboard comes with the Compaq EN P933 because I could honestly not find it. Maybe once I know that I can Flash the BIOS and see if that helps, or just order the new motherboard.

Thanks a lot!

ahh thanks the first link helps

I checked the second link before and they don't even have the link on there to flash the BIOS or tell you what motherboard it is...

But before I replace the mobo can I get a second opinion about if that is actually the issue here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom