Computer Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris93

Baseband Member
I'm a having a problem with my computer putting it on standby.

Everytime I click the shutdown button, it doesn't allow me to click on the standby button.

I am running xp pro sp2.

anyone with any solutions please post it.

Thx

Chris

point of that?

what the heck is the point of that??

I want to put my computer on "StandBy"

anyone, with real ideas?!

what is your video card? When i installed everything on my motherboard CD, including my intel video chip drivers, it gave the option to standby.

right now, the computer is unsure what video card you are using, so it will not give that option in case it damages your hardware.

hey talldude,

i used to have xp home on my comp, with all drivers installed etc etc and that let me put it on standby

then i wiped my harddrive, and put xp pro on it.
I installed everything i had to on my computer, but it wont let my.

my video card is run with Asus.

anything else you need to know, just let me know, i will find out and tell you.

Chris

sorry for the late reply

go to asus website, and update all your drivers. Go to www.driverguide.com (username:drivers password:all) and look for your monitor's drivers.

Chances are that your computer doesnt know what monitor you have, therefore it wont let you standby in case it damages your hardware.

Thanks talldude123,

I don't currently have the internet set up on my personal computer, but do on the Main Computer in the Study(the one i use for this), I will be hooking it up to this system soon though, to update my personal internet, email files etc.

Will definately try that though.

Thanks

To automatically put your computer on standby

1.. Open Power Options in Control Panel.
2.. In Power Schemes, click the down arrow, and then select a power scheme. The time settings for the power scheme are
displayed in System standby, Turn off monitor, and Turn off hard disks.
3.. To turn off your monitor before your computer goes on standby, select a time in Turn off monitor.
4.. To turn off your hard disk before your computer goes on standby, select a time in Turn off hard disks.

a.. To open Power Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Power Options.
b.. You might want to save your work before putting your computer on standby. While the computer is on standby, information in computer memory is not saved to your hard disk. If there is an interruption in power, information in memory is lost.
c.. To create a new power scheme, specify the time settings you want, and then click Save As.
d.. If you're using a portable computer, you can specify one setting for battery power and a different setting for AC power.
e.. To put your computer on standby, you must have a computer that is set up by the manufacturer to support this option.
f.. Using Power Options in Control Panel, you can adjust any power management option that your computer's unique hardware configuration supports. Because these options may vary widely from computer to computer, the options described may differ from what you see. Power Options automatically detects what is available on your computer and shows you only
the options that you can control.

To manually put your computer on standby

1.. Open Power Options in Control Panel.
2.. On the Advanced tab, under When I press the power button on my computer, click Standby. If you are using a portable computer, click Standby under When I close the lid of my portable computer.
3.. Click OK or Apply, and then turn off the power or close the lid of your portable computer.

Notes

a.. To open Power Options, click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Power Options.
b.. You can also put your computer on standby by clicking Start and then clicking Shut Down. In the What do you want the computer to do drop-down list, click Stand by.
c.. You might want to save your work before putting your computer on standby. While the computer is on standby, information in computer memory is not saved on your hard disk. If there is an interruption in power, information in memory is lost.
d.. To put your computer on standby, you must have a computer that is set up by the manufacturer to support this option.
e.. Using Power Options in Control Panel, you can adjust any power management option that your computer's unique hardware configuration supports. Because these options may vary widely from computer to computer, the options described may differ from what you see. Power Options automatically detects what is available on your computer and shows you only
the options that you can control.

Cool thanks Warez Monster,

Do you know of any way to enable the standby button on the shutdown menu, (start, turn off computer)

as that is where I would most use the standby feature.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom