HDD Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusader

In Runtime
Hey i bought a new HDD for my comp and it was OEM(i think) thats without the cables. So i checked in my comp to check if i could use the cables in it. BTW im going to have two HDs im not replacing. Anyway there was one ide cable with the grey plug in my current HD and the black plug was in the DVD. The 2nd IDE cable had two black ends(so is it still an IDE cable?) one was plugged in to the CD drive and the other was hanging in space. I slos have a spare power cable. Could i reconfigure the cables so i can install the HD with the cables iv got or do i have to get some. I know they cost almost nothing but its just a hassle.
Cheers

Check if the jumper on the back of the CD drive is set to Master or Slave. If it is Master, set the disk to Slave and vice versa.
If the cable looks the same, other than the color, it is the same type.

One last thing to consider and check is that the IDE cable that is connecting your CDROM and new HDD is 80-conductor IDE cable, and not 40-conductor. If it is 40-Conductor, you'll be limiting your hard drive transfer rate to 66MBps, compared to 133MBps at what it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom