ADSL Qustion

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantdixon

Baseband Member
Hey,
i am getting ADSL soon i wanna know if i need to remove the old 56k modem before i put the USB ADSL modem in.

No, you don’t need to remove it; I leave my ‘56k in, as I occasionally need to dial up from somewhere else, and don’t have the ADSL line.

Just a suggestion, grantdixon, but I would really try to get your ISP to get you a Cat5 connectable router (unless the one they are sending you has both). In my experience, the USB DSL routers are unreliable.

Just an FYI.

I am using the USB router as well. I am novice to router anyway, so far things are going gr8. What is the difference between USB router and standerd router. Mine's name is USB router, god knows what it means but i am connecting router with CAT 5. It doesn't even have USB port.

Going through Nic card's is faster then USB.Save your modem.I throw mine away and we had a thunderstorm took out DSL for almost a week.

if ur only networking 2 computers on dsl. have 2 NIC's in the host and 1 in the client....install service pack 1 for windows xp and enable "network connection sharing"....it will save you a sh1t load of money and if you configure everything right...the bandwidth you get will be better than that of a router. if ur going wireless than u have to go with a router.

I always suggest to get the Cat5 dsl modem then just get yourself a cheap router, to share the dsl and give you a bit of protection.

Sometimes I purchase wireless routers instead of wired since they are cheaper like today Buy.com has the netgear MR814 for 19.97 with free shipping. Normally the only cheaper one you can get is a gigafast from tigerdirect or sometimes buy.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom