strange floppy problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantsiq

Beta member
Okay, so my floppy drive works, but it doesn't work. Whenever I install the floppy into the case (Antec SLK3700AMB), it doesn't read floppies. That is, the power LED turns on (only when you try to access it, it isn't on constantly) but Windows asks me to "insert a disk" as if there were none in there.

Here's the strange part. If I remove the floppy from the drive cage and set it outside the case, it starts working properly. I suspect that means it must be shorting out or something inside the case, but I can't find any reason that'd be so. Everything looks perfectly normal, so I was wondering if anyone had any insight into this problem before I go messing with metal.

P.S. I have tried multiple floppy drives inside and outside the case, and the scenario is always the same.

Already tried three floppy drives, don't have a spare drive cage to test. Will check with new cable/molex and return.

Sounds like your case isn't grounded. Try the same floppy drive in another machine and see what happens. Floppies can be finicky. But, then again...you're still using a floppy? ...

Not my computer. But anyway:

Tested with new floppy cable to no avail, couldn't check power cable as PSU only has one connector for floppies.

Tested it with floppy inside of drive cage, drive cage outside of case. Worked. Hence it must be the case?

How should I go about ensuring the grounded-ness of my case?

Alright, moved it to the lower of the two external 3.5" spots and it's working now. Must've been a weird shorting mishap. Oh well, thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom