I'm confused - pc2100 or pc3200??

Status
Not open for further replies.

nellybean1518

Beta member
I'm totally lost when it comes to Memory etc for a computer. I've tried talking to various people, but I'm still confused. Can someone please explain to me what the difference between pc2100 and pc3200 is?

Here's the situation....

My grandma bought me memory for the computer last Christmas. I don't know what originally came with the computer, but she got me pc2100, I don't know if this is correct or not, but it does work with the computer. I currently have 2 sticks of 256MB but want to upgrade it.

Would I be able to use PC3200??? I've heard people say I could "overclock" it. What does that mean? and will it affect the performance?

Reason I need to know is mainly because I can get 2 sticks of 512MB PC3200 for $90 but I have to pay twice as much for 2 sticks of 512MB PC2100. Obviously, it'd be better if I could get the PC3200.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Nelly

Well the pc3200 is faster and is the general ram speed that is used today. pc2100 is an older ram stick which is slower and when used in conjunction with a faster stick of ram, will downclock the faster ram to pc2100 speeds.
The price of the pc2100 is probably higher due to rarity or something... So I suggest you get the pc3200.
A higher price doesn't mean that its better in most cases, but its a good thing you asked before you went and cheated yourself.

Thanks guys. Another question now, would it be better to get the 2 sticks of 512MB? or to get 1 stick of 1G PC3200? And would I be able to pair that with the existing PC2100 256MB sticks?

it all depends on your motheboard. If you motherboard supports dual channel then get 2 sticks of 512mb. Also check to see the fastest memory you can use with your board. usually P3200 is the way to go, but if you have an older board then maybe you can find some pc2700 or lower for a really cheap price.

Wow~ thanks guys, i got the same problem with you,nellybean1518, but after looking at this thread, i can comfirm that what is the different between pc2100 and pc3200, thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom