HELP!@!@! Computer won't start with new RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying-Squirrel

In Runtime
Hey all,

I had a gig of Corsair ValueSelect RAM and my computer was fine. I sold that off and upgraded to 2 gigs (2x1) of some good OCZ Platinum RAM. Now my computer won't work!!

I don't have a computer at home because my laptop is fried and my main computer is sitting there with no ram in it :( so I am having to be on here while at work. So I need everyones theories and opinions as quickly as possible.

My MOBO has the diagnostic led's that are, i think, telling me that my video card is recognized, ram is recognized, and cpu is recognized. I have 3 lights out of the 4. The last light that I am not getting is supposedly just for system startup.

My computer turns on, all my fans work including the one on the video card, cpu, all that stuff. The power led for my ram is on, everything seems to be working perfectly fine other than my screen saying there is "No Signal" and then sitting there black.

Here is what I have tried so far:
-reset cmos
-tried switching the ram through all of the 4 slots
-checked all the power plugins that I could find both into the wall and connections to the power supply and mobo
-unplugged the video card from the mobo and then plugged it back in

I was thinking of putting my video card in a different slot to see if that would help but I don't know if that is a good idea or if that would even work.

Please give me all the info you guys have, I would think that two sticks of this good expensive ram wouldn't both be duds and I really don't want to RMA but if I have to then I have to. I really need all the input I can get guys.

Oh and I have no backup ram to try and see if it works and like I said I have no other computer at home right now :angry:

Thanks

First try using only 1 stick of the RAM... Test all slots with 1 stick. If that doesn't work, try the other stick, testing all slots if it doesn't boot up correctly. If that doesn't work, you can further test the busted RAM with MEMTEST86. Its bootable via floppy or disk.

I will try the 1 stick in all slots with each stick idea but I can't do any type of memtest because I can't even get into bios letalone anything else :(

So you think it is simply 2 sticks of defective RAM? No other things that I should try or other issues that would create my problem? That really sucks because I have to have my computer to work at home like... NOW! :(

I didn't give other options b/c of the fact, that the only change that was made was the RAM... Were there more changes made prior to this system failure ?

I never changed anything other than reseting my cmos and putting in different sticks of RAM. So I wouldn't think it would be my MOBO or my Video Card.

Just from that, it tells me its RAM related. It could be something else, however b/c it doesn't even post, it leads me to believe its RAM.

Just my opinion...

Here is what a technical support person from OCZ emailed and told me to try:

Do both modules refuse to boot when tested individually? It is very rare for one module to be defective out of the box, let alone two modules. Try taking out the CMOS battery and unplugging the system for about 30 minutes and re-testing the system. If unplugging the system and taking out the CMOS battery for 30 minutes doesn't allow either modules to boot individually
let's do an RMA.

Anyone know what taking out the CMOS battery does? Is it similar to just reseting the CMOS with its jumper? Any other ideas of stuff I can try if this doesn't work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom