Computer Wont Turn on; High-pitch sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan1522

Solid State Member
All of a sudden in the past few days my computer wont boot on. It has this high pitched sound for like 1-2minutes and the CRT says no signal, then all of a sudden the sound will go away and the computer boots right up. If I shut down the computer and then turn it back on there is no problems its only if it sits for a while. Could it be a power suppy?? Also if you turn off the switch in the back for power and then turn it back on it starts up again, you dont have to push the on button again, wierd????Thanks

i would have to say the power supply

i had the same thing with my old computer where i had to actually punch the power supply to get it working

It wouldn't be the fan, that would not affect how it starts up at first, but possible the PSU is trying to gather up energy into the capacitors and it's having a hard time converting AC to DC....

If you have a friend who wouldn't mind helping or another puter around the house, just swap out the power supply. All you have to do is pull the other PSU, disconnect your mobo power connectors and plug in the borrowed psu outside the case. If it powers on just fine order a new PSU on new egg.

Ryan1522 said:
Computer Wont Turn on; High-pitch sound
LOOK OUT! IT'S A BOMB!!!

:)

See if you can localize the sound (ie - if it's coming from the power supply, hard-drive, CD-ROM, etc).

Let us know what you discover.

My girlfriend has an extra computer so I'll see if I can swap psu and see if that clears up the problem. If I need a new psu, does it matter it I get a more powerful unit (lets say mine was a 300watt orig. now I want to put in a 450watt???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom