ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYDALOSS

In Runtime
I have this ghost software from nortons. How do you set the pins
on the2 hardrives Which one is slave and which one is master
is the source drive master and the destination slave. Or are they both set to master.Also it is a cable select computer.Do i set both hardrives to cable select

the drive you boot to i usually the master. the slave is considered a secondary drive; either for user data or another os.

cable select - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_select

Cable select is a setting on IDE devices such as hard drives and CDROM that allows the position of the drive on the cable to select whether the drive will act as master or slave. This setting is usually performed by placing a jumper on the cable select setting, usually marked CS. Pin 28 on an IDE cable is used to decide the fate of the device. If the signal of the device is grounded, then it becomes a master, if ungrounded, it becomes a slave.

Cable select is often used when people are frequently switching around drives (e.g. when performing hardware maintenance). There are two main disadvantages to cable select. Most older 40-pin IDE cables do not support cable select and need a special modification to enable it, but newer 80-pin cables support it. Also when moving drives around the BIOS and operating system may get mixed up and attempt to boot from the wrong drive. Due to these disadvantages, many people prefer to explicitly setup their masters and slaves by manually moving their jumpers.

When set to cable select the drive at the end of the cable is Master and the drive in the middle is slave. As Csamuels wrote, most newer drivers on 80 pin cables support it, so it's the easier way in my opinion to setup with. Anyway, for you, in ghost, you need to know which is which, so if they are the same drive, then you need to know their positions. ie, where on the cable the reside. Master/primary, is always on the end of your cale.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom