Digital Computer Controlled Headphone Jack Switcher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerkMich

Solid State Member
Looking for a device or advice on how to make a device (say that ten times fast) that can switch headphone jacks via a computer for the purpose of operating the switcher with a windows usb remote control.

For example:
diagram.jpg

Basically I need to be able to choose what phone jack the computer is outputting audio to. Don't want to buy a new sound card and can't splice the two jacks together with a headphone jack 2 to 1 because the sound quality distorts horribly. I've maxed out the audio out signal. Maybe I don't need a device and there is an alternative method that I haven't thought of for doing this. Ideas anyone?

Rico's idea won't work. Mixers dont work that way... they mix 3+ audio signals into 2- L&R. They dont work the other way around.... and as for digital, that mizer is not digital. That is an analog mixer. Any thing that has pure audio SIGNAL passing through it is analog. Digital would be bitstream.

Poster: As far as I know, there is no such thing. Really, the only way to do it is with a signal splitter. If you buy the right thing and do it the right way, you should have absolutely NO quality loss... its only cable that its passing through... it has to pass through cable anyway, so there is no way that it would distort or degrade the sound in anyway. You need to take one stereo 1/8" cable to a STEREO 1/8" Y-splitter that has stereo on ALL THREE ENDS. If any of them are Mono, it will not work. Then plug your headphones and speakers into them. When you dont want to hear your speakers, turn them off (amazing concepts these are...)

Hope that helped... Might set you back at most $10 versus $80+ to buy a mixer that wouldn't do the job...........

eh hem

Perhaps I didn't give enough detail in my situation. I lost my first post which went through pretty much everything. The second go-around I decided to get to the point.

What you speak of, crysalis, I already have and have fully hooked up. There are extensive rca and 1/8" extendors and adapters which hook up two stereo recievers, 2 pc speakers, and a pair of headphones to my sound card. PC speakers and headphones being in room 1 and recievers being in room 2. When I connect the final 2 1/8" (or mini) plugs into a 2 to 1 I get power loss and humm. Connecting either one works fine. When I hooked it up and found this problem I briefly looked for any kind of ground loop or line noise interference perpetrators but gave up because of the cluster-F of wires in the two locations. Tomorrow I am going to reorganize my wiring and try to isolate the wires from interference and swap them out with some good shielded monster cables I'm borrowing from a friend. Maybe this will solve my problem. I will post the results. Also I have heard of a line filter and was wondering if these existed, and would maybe potentially solve my weak and humming sound problem. The crazy output switcher idea was off a whim and though maybe someone might have heard of something like that.

there is a grounding issue here. One of your cables does not match all of the rest. Either its the cable, or the connectors. Somewhere along the line, the signal path isn't grounded correctly.

It could also be intereference with electrical cables. ALWAYS make sure all audio cabling is isolated at least a few inches away from antennas and eletrical sources/cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom