mobo install probs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to get the new mobo working again and tried many of the things I've read on this and other forums. No joy but I did take note of the beep codes.

1 long, followed by 2 short. This apparently means video adpter problem, which would kind of make sense. I also read on another forum, that someone went and bought a new video card that is AGPx8. He rekons the board ONLY works with AGPx8; I thought AGP would be fully backwards compatible. Can this be true?

I'm using a Radeon 9000pro. I find it hard to believe this card won't work with this board. I was thinking of getting a 9800pro sometime, maybe when the price drops a bit, but these will only work with WinXP as far as I remember, which means I need a new £200 graphics card and a £100 OS just to get this £50 mobo to work!

Can this be true????

Thats the great thing about PCs, the're so interoperable.

I haven't seen an AGP card yet that wasn't backwards compatible.

I would take the card out and then re-seat, make sure it is pressed in.

If you have another system, try the card in that PC to see if it works.

If that doesn't work, and the card is still (fairly new) I would RMA (basically return it and get another one through the vendor).

If it does work in the other system, mobo, whatever the case, then I would suggest that maybe your new mobo's AGP is dead.

I did a search for ATI 900 Pro .Im puzzled that is clearly an 8x AGP bus card . If oyu cant even see BIOS theres not much you can do .Other than get that new 9800 Pro :)

Thanks Guy,

The prob isn't the seating of the card - tried that, and if you read my first post, it seemed to work ok until it asked me to restart. This is whats weird about it. I've done just about everything everyone has suggested on a few forums, but to no avail. I put the old mobo back in and everything is fine

I tried a stick of DDR266 RAM, cleared the CMOS, checked the CPU/heatsink etc...

I might try to take out the video drivers as suggested above and try that. - but what do I do if I get a display? Not much point in a new mobo if your vid card is running on standard VGA drivers.

Keep the help coming - it's kind of therapy.

Dave.

Just tried your idea of clearing all ATI drivers. Didn't work. Same thing again. Sounded a good one though but I was getting my hopes up.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom