DFI NF4 Ultra-D downgrading ram speed??

Status
Not open for further replies.

espeed

In Runtime
I have a mate who seems to think that the DFI ultra-D board will downgrade 400Mhz ram to 333Mhz if more than 2 sticks are used?! The specs for the board clearly say up to to 4gb allowed with 4 slots. I have never read of this odd occurance as I am planning to upgrade to this board. Anyone heard of this?

Im pretty sure its baloney.......

I have that board and from the stuff I looked up and found out about it I found no mention of it. Not only that but I don't see how or why a mobo would do that.

EDIT: only 2X1GB btw.

ok it appears i misunderstood my friend. He is using the DFI board with an AMD 64 3500+ venice core and apparently the memory controller on the CPU will run at 333mhz if all 4 banks are used on the mainboard with 400mhz ram.

Can anyone shed light on this??

ok, so the mainboard has nothing to do with it. Ive read that apparently with amd 64 chips using E core technology, they dont handle 4 dimms to well, and the performance drops compared to using just 2 dimms. heres a link to explain it all http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-e3-mem_2.html

What i wanna know is, do the X2 chips use a revised version of E core to possibly get past this problem. i dont wanna use 2 x 1gb dimms, yuck! Gimme 4x 512mb any day....:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom