virus problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computeradict

Baseband Member
Hello everyone,

I am having a bit of a problem with my father inlaws computer. His email is bombarded daily with email worms. W32.Netsky.C@mm is hammering his email box lately. 10 viruses just today. Everytime a new one comes out he gets it with in a day or 2. Norvarg, Beagle, My Doom. I have called our ISP and they had no advise to offer exept everything I suggested to him. He said that changing the email address would not work. I tend to disagree with that but I may be wrong. I suggested to him that I set up an email filter that will still allow father inlaw to get pictures that come in jokes and some document extensions that may come in email. The ISP agreed and said thats about all I can do.

Any other suggestions ?

Win XP Pro
Outlook express for email client
cable internet connection
Norton Anti-Virus
Zonealarm Pro firewall

thanks for the advice guys.

His Anti-virus is up to date and does check incoming and outgoing email. That is how they are getting stopped. The ISP says that they have a filter set up on their end and the guy at tech support said that he really doesn't know why he is getting so many (but some of those guys at tech support I don't beleive should even be attempting to give advice). As for the MYDOOM removal tool. If virus definitions are up to date and it has already deleted attachments in the past with MYDOOM is there really a need to run the tool ? System passes full system scan with no viruses.

? please,
Can you get an email virus in ways other than attachments ?
I have Rogers cable,and Nortons,don't run it except to do a weekly scan.
They send me warnings on what to watch for.
Have you been opening unknown attachments ?

a little confused by your post stan. ???

If I understand correctly...No I don't think you can get a virus other then an attachment. But I may be wrong. And no I have not been opening any attachments that I don't recognize. The virus infected attachments are removed by Norton right away.

Ok Thanks for clearing that up MicroBell. I have stopped attachments from coming through in Outlook Express and set up message rules to stop certain ext. and keywords from coming through. I am also going to try the "SpamPal" you sugested.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom