Laptop randomly shuts off

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwi1108

Beta member
I have a sony laptop that is doing something very strange. It is just randomly clicking and going completly off - and then automatically restarting.

This happens as I'm working on it and can be when I am doing anything. Typing, moving the mouse, there doesn't seem to be any one thing that makes it do it. But it does seem to be doing it more often.

I conect it with two different power cords - one at home and one at my office - yet it does it at both locations so I don't think it has anything to do with the power cord.

Please help! :)

It has been on a lot more lately, is there any way to tell? I have it on a vented stand when using it at home . . .

I would try to get something that only has four points on it, and let the laptop sit up there, play a movie or something, and see if it shuts off. If it doesn't, it is probably heat problems.

What laptop do you have? I have a Dell Inspiron 4000 that I hardly ever use anymore, it never shut down on me, but it got EXTREMELY hot. I couldn't let it sit on my lap after about 30 minutes of use.

my dad had that problem but with an IBM. he got the computer from a friend who works at the computer show. i told him about it and he gave us a new computer. the problem was with the memory. it was a 32 mb and since he has to open up a couple pages that run JAVA, the computer would run low on memory and just restart or shutdown. i don't know about a laptop tho. might wanna report this to customer service.

Time to complicate it more:)

Ok, I left if off for about 4 hours, started it again and within 2 minutes it did it. It is on a stand so it has ventilation. I don't think it is over heating.

It is a sony GR150K.

And to complicate things even more! About two years ago, it was in a car accident with me:( My insurance company took it and decided it was fixible. They replaced the CD drive and snapped it back together.

About six months or so after that every time I would walk around, or pick it up it would do this. I finally got them to agree to look at it again and they tested it for 2 or three weeks. They said that it wouldn't do it for them - well it finally did and they said it was a memory issue. They replaced the memory and sent it back to me. It has been fine since then - until about a month ago:(

If I have any warrenty left - it won't cover it because of the accident, and the insurance won't do anything else because they are sticking to their claim that they fixed everything caused by the accident! :mad: Please help:)

AHA i was on to something. man that car accident really messed things up. god ur in a bad position now. the only thing you can do know is try to find someone to fix it. you're prolly not gunna be able to fix it. i would recommend someone who would do it for you and would put a warrenty on it even tho it was in the accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom