Pci/pci-e

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckynunn

Solid State Member
I have been reading, studying, sweating and racking my brain over the last 4-5 days trying to find a video card for my pc--I have a few games that need more than my computer has in this area (Myst:Uru, WOW)--I have not posted any questions on any forums thus far--attempting to figure it out on my own because I know that most of you get tired of people asking "what video card should I get?"--but I have come upon a part that I just cannot find the answer too--at least one that I can understand-
My computer is a HP a424x--manufactured & introduced 12/03--I purchased it May of '04--I know for sure that I have to have a PCI card--not AGP (I bought a Radeon card last week and had to send it back because of this--I did not know what my computer took until I tried to put it into the slot)--so, now my problem is: everything listed on all of these sites selling video cards says either AGP or PCI-E--now, is this a major difference? my computer will hold a PCI according to the website when I put in the make and model, but will it hold a PCI-E? I do know that I have 2 open slots for graphics cards on the inside--
If I absolutely cannot have a PCI-E can you help guide me to a place that I may be able to find a good, reliable used PCI?
thanks so much for you time and consideration--

PCI and PCI-E are completly different...and i doubt that you have a PCI-E slot..they are probably all PCI....as for a good PCI card..i'm not sure on that

Ouch... im afraid that there arent any very good PCI cards out there. This should answer any questions you might have (read it all) http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=445 .
The best PCI graphics card you can get is the GeForce FX 5600. If that isnt good enough i would suggest you get a new motherboard.

thanks so much for your replies--
the article was extremely helpful--
I will now embark on digging deep for the GeForce FX 5600 or the ATI Radeon 9100--
My son and I are not hardcore gamers--most of the games I play are the click and point adventure games--I sure do not want to have to get into buying a motherboard---not yet anyway--
if you happen to see any or hear of any for sale--please let me know--
thanks again--

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom