internet issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

lheggie

Baseband Member
Hi,

I was just at a friends house where they showed me a computer problem that they are having ... i figured i would ask for help with this one..

the system is a windows 98 se system .. it has 128 mb ram.

this friends son decided that he wanted to try to install wireless dsl on the computer but he really did not know what he was doing and when my friend came home the computer was a mess.

basically the son tried to install wireless dsl but it did not work so then he just wanted to get the computer back using dial up .. well nothing worked. so i took a look at it and was able to get the dial up to at least recognize the modem and connect to the internet... however when you open internet exploder oops i mean internet explorer you can not browse the web. so i uninstalled dial up networking and reinstalled it... i checked all of the settings and called the isp to confirm that the settings were correct. I then pinged an ip addy and as long as i used an numerical ip addy i get a response. but when i ping a test ip addy i get nothing. the computer is still not able to browse the internet but is definately connect.

any suggestions... the isp was out of suggestions and basically said we dont know its beyond us.

Please help.

thanks for your time and assistance.

If you have access to DSL then why go to such lengths to re-fix the dial up. You should be focussing on fixing the DSL problem. Also, what is wireless DSL??? LOL

As I said in the initial post the friends son tried to install dsl service. They have since cancelled the dsl service and want to just keep dial up. That is why I am not focusing on keeping the dsl.

After posting I went back to the friends house and ran a full virus scan on the system and removed a bunch of spyware. No virus's were found but a lot of spyware was located and removed and still you can not browse on the internet.

Look in the windows folder for sahun*.exe - my daughter managed to toast her win98 setup with some shopathome stuff...
running the uninstall fixed it... (*AFTER spyware removal didn't*)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom