Would be interested in your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scampi

Beta member
Good afternoon...First post on these forums, but from what I have been reading, there appears to be some very smart, computer savvy folks here...

I am looking to buy a gaming computer. I have built a few in the past, but it is not a strong point for me...So buying a pre configured one is the route I would like to take...

My question to you folks is...

If you had $2500 as a budget, what would you put in your gaming rig.

I have monitor, keyboard, mouse etc and a hub for cable internet...Really looking at the power supply, cpu, video card, HD, MB, Ram etc...

System is used for MMORPG's, not into FPS type games...

Looking at a single card video solution as oppsed to an SLI setup. Not really into water cooling unless it is a must. Dont plan on any major overclocking of components...

If I am in the wrong forum, apologies...Please point me in the right direction...

Look forward to reading some of your recommendations...

Thanks in advance

for 2.5 Grand noone here will tell you to buy any prebuilt.

We will all suggest building it from the ground up. We will help you, there are tons of people here who know how to build computers and are willing to help you through each step. Including me.

It will be well worth it when done.

Ok...Then lets discuss what I should be building, and maybe later...The how... :)

Been awhile since I have built one, guess I am not up to speed on the latest technology...

I prefer Nvidia for graphics, AMD for processors...

Dont need fancy lights on my case and windows on the sides are optional...Non functional bells and whistles just seem to get in the way to me.

Ditto what Ste said. $2500 is alot and should get you alot of high end stuff.

There are alot of smart folks here. I too am putting together a new system. Like you I have some basics already. I'll list what I found out to be the best for me, with alot of advice from many helpful people here. In the end its up to you.

Case: Antec Performance Plus Plus Veiw II
Mobo: DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert CPU: AMD athlon 64X2 4400+ Toledo
HD: WD Caviar SE16 WD2500K2 7200rmp 3.0Gb/s 250gb
PSU: OCZ PowerStream 520W
Video: (1) eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GTX PCI Express 512MB DDR3 Video Card w/HDTV, Dual DVI & VIVO w/intent to purchase a 2nd one down the road.

The following parts I already have:

Ram: Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader
SC: CL SoundBlaster Audigy 4
Speakers: Logitech X-530 5.1
DVD: Lite-ON ATAPI/E-IDE SHW-160P6S

I think the price if my rough math is correct about $15-1600.

Heres a link to my post on the fourm in my search for info.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?threadid=85860

My thoughts on pre-built rigs, not worth it. I feel if you build it you know whats going into it, nothing is proprietary. Plus things are easy to upgrade when you buy compoents from reliable manufactures. JMHO.

Hope this helps.

Do you want to go with a dual core processor? Dual Core is great for having multiple programs running while playing a game. But you might be one of those people that has only 1 thing open at a time.

NeedAcpu said:
Do you want to go with a dual core processor? Dual Core is great for having multiple programs running while playing a game. But you might be one of those people that has only 1 thing open at a time.
With that sort of budget of course he wants dual core, he can afford the best dual core processor out there.

Dual core is the future

Hello Scampi, I am new to these forums as well.

For the money you have available, you would eventually be very unhappy with a factory system. Custom built is the only way to go when you have the money IMO.

I would chime in and tell you one thing here. BE SURE you buy a mobo that is as up to date as possible. Don't skip out on price on that mobo because later you may want to add components to your system that might be incompatible with your mobo. The M2 is going to be great in that aspect.

I would also suggest you went with Nvidia graphics. I do a lot of warranty work for folks with video problems and about 75% of those problems are people with ATI cards.

Hope that helped and good luck!

Well, step away from the PC for a few minutes and bombarded with advice...You folks are great...Really appreciate the input.

I notice on Weringo's post that he suggests two hard drives...I assume that would need a Raid configuration or something like that...( Never used two before )...Is that the way to go over one larger drive?

What are the advantages of two over one?

Anything special these days for DVD / CD / RW drives? Suggestions...

I am not into sound much and understand that the onboard sound for these higher end MB's does the job for most folks...Is that correct?

Relative to RAM...2 sticks or 4? ( 2 x 1g vs 4 x 512 )

I think I am sold on the NVidia 7800GTX. I read somewhere that the 256 version was more reliable than the 512 version...Any thoughts on that or is 512 overkill atm?

The MB mentioned ( Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe )...Is this a good / top of the line type, mentioned by Techguru75? I have used Asus before and not had any issues, again just curious on your thoughts...
What is this M2 you refer to Techguru ?

I also assume that as it is an SLI board, I could upgrade to two video cards in the future...

Thanks again for all of the replies to date...Wish I had found this site a long time ago :0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom