Setting up a BASIC LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Manana

Beta member
Hi
Me and a mate are looking to setup a simple two computer LAN. We're completely inexperienced at networking and were hoping someone could walk us through step by step how to do it. All we want to do is play Age of Empires 2 over it. We have an ethernet cable but when connected, his computer says its all set up but mine says Status: Limited or no connectivity. When I hit Repair, it says it is unable to renew IP address. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Stu

if you are connecting the two computers together a standard ethernet patch cable won't do it. you need a crossover cable. if you use a standard cable the send data lines go directly to the send data line on the other end and same with receive so it just jams the connection, you with me? this doesn't apply if you are using a switch/router/hub. make sure the two computers do not have the same IP address.

nitestick said:
you need a crossover cable

Yeah, or use a hub or router and two different ethernet cables, I find that easiest if you don't have a crossover

If money is no object go for the router/ hub option.

Crossover cables are notoriously unpredictable and I myself have had problems when using this option.

Hubs/ switches are designed to be able to handle mass data transfer like that involved during online gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom