I installed new hardware now I cant boot in to windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonJr

Banned
My lil brother just upgraded his MB, RAM, CPU, PSU, and video card. The MB is an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe and corsair smart memory, I believe thats what its called. The processor is an AMD 64 3500+ and the hard drive is an 80G Western Digital IDE.

Now the problem I'm having is that it wont boot into windows. I keep getting the blue screen that tells me to remove any new hard drives or HD controllers and also run chkdsk and that it could have viruses. and at the bottom it says something like Technical Info ***STOP***(0x0043df57, 0x39hc2500, 0x000000, 0x000000) There was no virus on it when it was plugged into the old system

What could this be?

And is those numbers and letters referring to memory.

HELP!!!!!

Thanks
RonJr

Maybe he has to reformat his hard drive?
I had to format mine when I upgraded although I forgot what error I kept getting. Luckily for me, I backed everything up onto another hard drive just incase something like that happened to me.

Any time ou significantly modify the hardware you will get BSOD. Windows will not load because of significant hardare conflitcs!!!! You need to do an entire reformat and reinstallation of windows. If you have critical data to back up, take out the drive and jumper it as a slave and then put it into another puter and back up your files. and then reformat and trans the data back after windows had been freshly installed.

rowelld said:
Did you check the BIOS and make sure the right hardware is showing up?

This is irrelevant to his problem. As I said above, anytime you make signigficant hardware changes, the old XP configuration will not load after POST. Save your data and reformat and do a fresh install.

i've made major hardware changes before such as switching out a whole new motherboard and was able to boot to windows. but i had to activate windows again.

rowelld said:
i've made major hardware changes before such as switching out a whole new motherboard and was able to boot to windows. but i had to activate windows again.

The only way this is possible is if the motherboard was exactly the same. OR had the same Chipset. What (Rico) has posted is 100% correct. With Windows XP and Earlier... This is what needs to be done.

There are several Rumors that Microsoft is adding a new twist to Windows Vista. This "twist" is targeted at Gamers and DIYers. Windows Vista will allow for major hardware changes, including a motherboard and still be able to boot so you can install new motherboard drivers within windows.

Hopefully, this will happen.

Thanks for all the reply's guys.

I actually work for Asus and I replace mother boards all the time but it's always with the same model. It kinda took me by surprise that it would not boot up, I never knew a different board would cause this. So anyways we reformated a 15g drive and installed windows on it and we're bout to put the old hard drive in and see if we can get all the files or maybe just use it the way it is.

There wont be no problem with hooking up the 80g and just running it the way it is will it? It has the original install of windows on it.

rowelld said:

you could do it with sp1 and before. sp2 put an end to this trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom