Pentium D 3.0ghz (Dual Core)
Intel Pentium D Compatible mobo
Kingston 1GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon X800 XL 16x PCIe
Thermaltake 480W PSU
Two Seagate HDs (120 + 80 gig)
SoundBlaster Audigy2 Value
Windows XP Professional

When I built this computer over the summer I was under the impression that this game would rip up any game I threw at it. I thought the Dual Core was going to be incredible. I was wrong. Battlefield 2 runs choppy, HL2 Source games run average at 30FPS and even Age of Empires 3 runs a little choppy when there is a lot of action. Mind you this is while running full settings. I see people running same settings with worse (or atleast I think) computers at 70FPS averages in HL2 Source.

My question is: Is this sort of performance expected with my specs, or is something going wrong with my computer?

Im trying to do whatever I can to improve my system performance without spending to much money. I recently upgraded my PSU from 230W to 480W (how a 350W-needed computer didnt die with 230W, I dont know) thinking that might cure some of my problems. It didnt. With some more money in my pocket, I'm looking for my next upgrade. I was thinking about buying another stick of Kingston 1GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM (the identical RAM I have now) and bring my system up to 2GB of ram and up my performance a little.

Would the change from 1GB to 2GB of RAM be that great of a change? Would it be worth the 130$ I'd be spending?

If not, is there anything I could do that would be under 200 dollars?

Sorry for the long read, any help would be much appreciated!

Update:

I did some 3dMark2005 tests and Im finding people with almost the exact set up (Same CPU, GPU and RAM) and their CPU Score is double mine and the rest of the results are slightly better. I got 4415.

you could get a better graphics card... 6800 gs should do ya good! .. i think one gig of ddr 2 ram is enough... but ur computer does sound pretty awesome

i agree 1gb of DDR2 is good enough for now...but definetly consider upgrading to the 6800GS....you wont regret it :)

Avalanch3 said:
i agree 1gb of DDR2 is good enough for now...but definetly consider upgrading to the 6800GS....you wont regret it :)

Wouldnt that be a little silly to upgrade to a card that will go out of technology as quick as the X800?

Trotter said:
Just a thought...

Go here:
http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=534983#post534983
and read the list of steps.

Do them, but in this order: 3 - 2 - 1 - 4 - 5

See if that helps.

Also, to speed your boot time, download and run this:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

I usually reformat my computer every 2 months, run disk defragger every week, run AdAware frequently and monitor my processes religiously. :( Thanks for the help though, man, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom